Retired or not retired.

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 14 17:52

Retired or not retired.

So all you ex Caretakers who have retired from the service what's your favourite thing to do now.

Or not yet retired. Same question.

Got 4.5 years to go here. But my interests are mainly walking. Love to get out into the country and going for walks. Reading / Music and Gardening.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 07:46

Re: Retired or not retired.

I love walking, I've got two years until retirement and plan to walk the Greater Manchester Ringway (300km) and more of the Peak District once I finally hand my keys in.
Teabee
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 07:59

Sounds as if you are well set to enjoy a long and enjoyable retirement, health permitting. I wondered how I had ever found time to go to work!!
Now, 12 years in, arthritis is slowing me down A LOT. [Mad.png]
I find motivation is a problem. It would be very easy to give in and vegitate in front of the box but the dogs have no mercy and get me out daily. The garden is now a constant rearguard action and those little jobs around the house which I used to be able to do without a thought now need to be assessed carefully. Should I tackle them and accept that I'll pay the price of being --- censored word --- for a day or two, or get someone in.....?
My advice? Take careful stock of your financial position and the ramifications of early retirement. You may well find that it could be possible to pack it in early, if so, Do it! Get a Spaniel and walk for miles while you can. ENJOY!!! [Wink.png]
In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the dog.

Alphonse Toussenel (1803-1885)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 15 08:09

Very much the same as Teabee. I enjoy a lot of unhealthy hobbies like sitting at my computer, listening to music, watching long train journeys on the TV. I have a small Maltese dog, a few hundred yards is like a mile hike for him, but he does get excited every evening in all weathers for his walk. I'm longing for some dry, warm sunny weather when I can take in in the local park or in the woods for a decent walk.

I've got a fish tank that needs weekly cleaning, water change etc. I'm always washing my car, but as Teabee said, if I over do it I suffer for several days after.

But the beauty of retirement, is you can pick and choose what you do with your time and apart from the Mrs, there is nobody going to chastise you if you don't do something. [Thumb_up.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 09:19

I try to go for daily walks weather permitting to keep fit, minimum 6k steps with a view to 10k steps if possible. I also visit family and friends and go to the occasional interesting venue like a museum or similar. Although I can feel my bones beginning to suffer, I tend to power through it. My brain still thinks I’m in my thirties, but the mirror shows otherwise, I avoid mirrors if I can.

I do enjoy the freedom of having no work commitments, the stress and ever-increasing burdens was starting to get to me. I read, listen to music, or watch tv in the evenings, I never watch tv earlier in the day and never watch any of the soaps, much preferring discovery type channels.

Before I retired, I made sure I was completely debt free as I could foresee future budget limitations. I do however now wish I retired earlier at around 60 rather than 66, now 70 I remember that 60 was better. Although financially, retiring at 60 my pensions would have been a bit less accommodating than they are now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 15 10:38

Keyolder wrote: 15th Apr 2024 at 9:19am My brain still thinks I’m in my thirties, but the mirror shows otherwise.
I feel like a teenager...
But I can't have one [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 16:20

I love reading and coffeeing, once i have done my daily chores ( i am a dab hand at washing and ironing now)i head out for a coffee and a read. The other main hobby is watching the Toon ⚽
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 17:15

You could try a man shed local to you.

Great for chatting and repairing things or passing on your knowledge of repairs.

https://menssheds.org.uk/

This is an association but a quick google should find local groups in your area.

Beer making is a shedly activity right? [Big grin.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
narrowboat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 16 07:21

left school in 1971. full time Caretaker 1992. now semi retired Caretaker since 2022 working a 3 day week. I to like walking, I intend to buy a boat this year, Maintaining and using that will keep me busy, as do my 5 grandchildren.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 16 16:45

My favourite thing is to pull the duvet back over my head when I hear the rain coming down outside.