Samsung Android phone update

Use this board to discuss about Science, Space exploration, Computers, New gadgets...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 16 13:40

Samsung Android phone update

Samsung are rolling out an updated android software. On newer phones, this includes a One UI 2.5 update. It is a massive 1gb download and takes a while to update the phone. The blurb says:

Samsung DeX

Wireless DeX connection support.
Wireless connection with TVs through Wi-Fi direct (compatible with Miracast)
Quick Panel DeX
Usage of Samsung Smart TVs released after 2019 is recommended.
Screen Zoom and Font Size options are supported to allow customization in various display sizes.

Wi-Fi

If quality information on nearby Wi-Fi routers can be measured, this information will appear as Very Fast, Fast, Normal, or Slow.
This feature can be turned on or off in the “Network Quality Information Display” settings.
When attempting to access a Wi-Fi router with a password, a newly added feature now allows the user to request the password of the Wi-Fi router from someone nearby who is saved in their contact list and has already connected to that router.
The “Request Password” button will appear on the Wi-Fi password input screen when you can request a password.

Always On Display

Bitmoji stickers are supported on Always On Display. (Clock style)

Samsung Keyboard

A new feature has been added to the keyboard search feature that allows the user to search YouTube.
Split Keyboard is supported on Landscape mode.
The search function of the “Manage Input Languages” screen in the Keyboard Settings page has been newly updated to make it easy to find keyboard input languages that the user wishes to add or delete.

Camera

The Pro Video feature has been enhanced.

A feature has been added that allows the user to call a person who is saved as a pre-configured SOS message contact.
A feature has been added that allows the user to send SOS location-sharing messages every 30 minutes for 24 hours.

A software update can include, but is not limited to:

Device stability improvements, bug fixes.
New and / or enhanced features.
Further improvements to performance.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 15:28

Re: Samsung Android phone update

Yes I got the update but its still only on Android 10 -Disappointment.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Kirma
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 22:18

Samsung products are generally very poor, wouldn’t have any of their tech even if it was free!!
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 17 08:54

Kirma wrote: Wed, 16th Sep 2020, 10:18pm Samsung products are generally very poor, wouldn’t have any of their tech even if it was free!!
That's a very sweeping statement.

When I had a problem with QLED TV, I didn't find their support very good and it never really got fixed. Our local white goods stockist will not sell Samsung products (washing machines etc) as they found support was poor.

But I've never had any issues with their phones.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 17 10:49

Must admit the only Samsung product I have is my mobile phone, prior to that I had Motorola and Nokia mobiles. But I would say for the last 15 years I’ve only had a Samsung mobile and not had any major issues, I only get mid-range phones and change them when the quality updates cease usually after around 2 years. I would love to try an iPhone but the cost for me is an issue, my Samsung does all I need for 25% the cost of an iPhone.

All my friends and most of my family have iPhones and mostly tell me they would not own a Samsung mobile either, I guess its a brand loyalty issue?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 17 13:12

I've had a Samsung phone for years, usually get a sub £200 refurbished one every once in a while as I have a Sim only deal so for me it makes sense. I love them.

My TV for the last 20 years or so is a Samsung flat screen, bought back when we had the choice of Currys or Comet, in fact I've still got my OLD Samsung, the cathode tube type tucked away in the back of the wardrobe as I haven't found anyone willing of interested in taking it off my hands! Doubt it still works, but it's a backup, just in case.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Kirma
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 17 13:38

thecaretaker wrote: Thu, 17th Sep 2020, 8:54am That's a very sweeping statement.

When I had a problem with QLED TV, I didn't find their support very good and it never really got fixed. Our local white goods stockist will not sell Samsung products (washing machines etc) as they found support was poor.

But I've never had any issues with their phones.
-Big grin.png-
You’ve just proven my point, you mentioned 2 out of 3 failures! Hilarious 😂
Thanks for your support -Like.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Sep 2020 17 17:50

My one must be one of `The Older Ones` then -Disappointment.png-
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 16:45

I've had a Samsung S3, S5, S7 and currently on an S20. I can't fault them. On the other hand though, I hate Apple phones, and would never pay for one.

Personal preference though at the end of the day, if you've had issues with Samsung before, you're not likely to go back.
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 09:42

Kirma wrote: Wed, 16th Sep 2020, 10:18pm Samsung products are generally very poor, wouldn’t have any of their tech even if it was free!!
I have an Iphone for work and my personal phone is a Samsung Galaxy, would quite happily bin the Iphone if i could.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.