My 3 must have clean-up programs

Use this board to discuss about Science, Space exploration, Computers, New gadgets...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 09 13:16

My 3 must have clean-up programs

Further to Twiglets post where I said what programs I use to clean up my Windows 10 system, I thought I'd record a video of the process I use before backing up my system and closing down after every session.

The programs are: CCleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner and Cleanmgr+ all are free. I clear everything apart from selected Firefox cookies which I have set to keep in CCleaner. I don't advise ticking the option 'Compress System Installation' in CleanMgr+ as that will slow your system down as Windows will need to uncompress files when needed. Apart from that, I tick all boxes to clean. I also use the built in Windows Storage Sense to confirm I have no lingering files.

It takes just under 3 mins to clean my system up and again 2m 50sec to do an image backup (not shown in video).

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 09 16:48

Re: My 3 must have clean-up programs

I find these days that most of these programs aren't needed anymore. I don't run any additional programs on my pc and still runs as quick as the day I installed it around 3 years ago on a computer that is over 6 years old now. (new gaming pc coming soon!)

Most of these programs will find files which don't cause any issues and are often deleted by windows eventually anyway. I used to get tons of private work sorting out pcs with loads of junk installed, Microsoft have actually done a pretty good job of increasing the security on Windows over the last couple of years which has dramatically reduced this.

Any fairly modern pc with a good solid state drive in it will be perfectly fine with the standard windows security these days.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 09 18:21

steveg wrote: Sat, 9th Jan 2021, 4:48pm I find these days that most of these programs aren't needed anymore. I don't run any additional programs on my pc and still runs as quick as the day I installed it around 3 years ago on a computer that is over 6 years old now. (new gaming pc coming soon!)

Most of these programs will find files which don't cause any issues and are often deleted by windows eventually anyway. I used to get tons of private work sorting out pcs with loads of junk installed, Microsoft have actually done a pretty good job of increasing the security on Windows over the last couple of years which has dramatically reduced this.

Any fairly modern pc with a good solid state drive in it will be perfectly fine with the standard windows security these days.
I guess I am a bit paranoid about keeping my system small.

I agree, a PC will run almost as quick with loads of old unused files sitting around especially with SSD's these days. However, I do regular image backups with Macrium Reflect every day and by keeping all the junk/cached files off my C drive does make backing it up quicker.

Using Macrium means I don't need to run system protection (restores) which saves a lot of C space. I turn hibernate off too which in turns prefetch off. With SSD it isn't good to constantly write to the C drive the files to boot it up faster. That was OK for mechanical hard drives, but it is actually faster to read the files needed live.

With a large amount of RAM, I also limit the size of the Virtual Memory (pagefile). Stupidly, Windows adjusts the size of the pagefile to up to 4 times the size of the physical memory, so the bigger the RAM the bigger the space it reserves for the pagefile, but then doesn't need to use it.

I'm not sure that Windows does handle unwanted junk files well. It is better than it was in the days of 98, but it still creates an enormous amount of cached files and the new storage sense still doesn't clear them all efficiently.

Many programs (not all) I store on other SSD's to keep my C drive light.

By making frequent backups, I can try out new programs and if I don't like them (or they don't do what they claim to do) I just revert to the previous image without any redundant registry entries.

My C drive is around 31 gig

Screenshot 2021-01-09 181542.png

I agree, Windows is a lot more secure these days. It is a lot harder to get infected (although not impossible lol).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 10 10:35

My new laptop has Windows 10 S and does not need any additional protection as it does it all itself, i cannot download any programmes unless they come through the Windows 10 store which also protects what you download, it's a pain and i could opt out and in to basic Windows 10 but i have no need as i have a second laptop i use for games etc. -Thumb_up-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 10 12:42

Must admit I used to back up regularly and do a clean install of Windows at least annually to keep it all fresh and speedy. Lately, well for the last few years I’ve stayed with the same install of windows allowing updates virus scans and auto backups as recommended and my PC, laptop and tablet are running sweetly with no issues.
Back in the bad old Windows 3.1/95/98/(Vista -Scared.png- ) days I used to install everything that was free, bad decision… I think we are all more experienced nowadays.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-