Dash Cam

Update notifications, Tech News, Security issues, Updates...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Forum Member & Subscriber

Dash Cam

Apr 2018 15 12:04

Post by EBJ » Sun, 15th Apr 2018, 12:04pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Apr 2018 15 12:04

Well made my mind up to get a dash cam as to many idiots on the roads these days, looking at a Nextcam 212 from Halfords which as a magnetic mounting devise, the reviews have been good and they can hard wire it all in as well. So looking at a total cost of over £100 all told which is quite reasonable to buy it and have it all hard wired in, oh and extra for the sim card.

Any one got this particular model it retails at about £69 as a kit with a cigarette lighter connection and although reveiws are good you cannot beat some one who has one on forums like this, thanks in advance. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Keyolder

Re: Dash Cam

Apr 2018 15 13:25

Post by Keyolder » Sun, 15th Apr 2018, 1:25pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Apr 2018 15 13:25

Hi Jack, a friend just got one fitted by Halfords the model up from your choice the 312GW recommended by the Halfords installer, looks good the Halfords service was good I'm told and the video quality is excellent.

Good luck in your choice [Like.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

EBJ

Apr 2018 15 13:49

Post by EBJ » Sun, 15th Apr 2018, 1:49pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Apr 2018 15 13:49

Keyolder wrote:
Sun, 15th Apr 2018, 1:25pm
Hi Jack, a friend just got one fitted by Halfords the model up from your choice the 312GW recommended by the Halfords installer, looks good the Halfords service was good I'm told and the video quality is excellent.

Good luck in your choice [Like.png]
Thanks keyholder i appreciate the feed back and think i am moving in the right direction. [Like.png]

HappyLad

Apr 2018 16 11:13

Post by HappyLad » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 11:13am

Post by HappyLad by HappyLad Apr 2018 16 11:13

I've been looking at dash cams for a while, i had one on my motorbike and when i was knocked off it was invaluable. I'd like one that was discreet though, i don't really want to leave it in place in the car as i'm concerned someone would smash and grab! And i don't wanna have to fix it in place and plug it in every time i get in the car. Is there a way around this or am i being over cautious?
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

Keyolder

Apr 2018 16 14:00

Post by Keyolder » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:00pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Apr 2018 16 14:00

A few years back I bought a dashcam for my car, I roughly installed it with the cable hanging down to the 12 volt lighter socket.
Got fed up with removing replacing and plugging it in every time and eventually stopped using it all together.

Last year my son got me an updated model and wired it in properly for me, I now leave it in 24/7 and even forget it's there. It switches itself on and off automatically has gps logging and a g-force sensor that starts recording if someone knocks the car.

It's quite small and unobtrusive behind the rear view mirror no cables on show so not really that noticeable.
[Like.png]
Last edited by Keyolder on Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Jubbs

Apr 2018 16 14:06

Post by Jubbs » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:06pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Apr 2018 16 14:06

Keyolder wrote:
Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:00pm
A few years back I bought a dashcam for my car, I roughly installed it with the cable hanging down to the 12 volt lighter socket.
Got fed up with removing replacing and plugging it in every time and eventually stopped using it all together.

Last year my son got me an updated model and wired it in properly for me, I now leave it in 24/7 and even forget it's there. It switches itself on and off automatically has gps logging and a g-force sensor that starts recording if someone knocks the car.

It's quite small and unobtrusive behind the rear view mirror no cables on show so not really that noticeable.
[Like.png]
Not quite correct Keyholder, it is always recording but with the G-force sensor, it makes sure it wont record over the segments before, during and after the prang and saves them for proof/evidence. You should be able to keep a journey recorded too by pressing a key before power down or such like.

inspector
Forum Moderator & Subscriber
Forum Moderator & Subscriber

Apr 2018 16 14:07

Post by inspector » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:07pm

Post by inspector by inspector Apr 2018 16 14:07

You can hard wire the mount, and a lot of the models have a magnetic `clip`to hold the camera onto the mount that is stuck onto the screen, my one has a rubber cup suction cup and a leaver that increases the strength of the grip (like the satnav mount) the camera is easy to remove and refit on the mount, but little/big fingers can inadvertently press some of the camera buttons on fitting or removal of the camera.

EBJ

Apr 2018 16 15:13

Post by EBJ » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 3:13pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Apr 2018 16 15:13

HappyLad wrote:
Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 11:13am
I've been looking at dash cams for a while, i had one on my motorbike and when i was knocked off it was invaluable. I'd like one that was discreet though, i don't really want to leave it in place in the car as i'm concerned someone would smash and grab! And i don't wanna have to fix it in place and plug it in every time i get in the car. Is there a way around this or am i being over cautious?
Well the one i am thinking of buying from Halfords is the worlds first magnetic dash cam, every thing stays in place and you simply unclip it from the holder which holds it in place by a maget. [Like.png]

Rockstar

Apr 2018 16 16:11

Post by Rockstar » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 4:11pm

Post by Rockstar by Rockstar Apr 2018 16 16:11

I took mine out of my old car where it was plugged into a 12v socket and the wire ran (hidden) around the windscreen and to the mount. I cannot do that with my Galaxy so I need to get it hard wired in. I am wondering if it is easy to cut off the 12v plug and find a live that goes off with the ignition. Or will I regret it ? [Scared.png]

Keyolder

Apr 2018 16 18:08

Post by Keyolder » Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 6:08pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Apr 2018 16 18:08

Jubbs wrote:
Mon, 16th Apr 2018, 2:06pm
Not quite correct Keyholder, it is always recording but with the G-force sensor, it makes sure it wont record over the segments before, during and after the prang and saves them for proof/evidence. You should be able to keep a journey recorded too by pressing a key before power down or such like.
From the Roav website:

"MOTION-ACTIVATED: Gravity sensor activates the camera if your car is bumped or moved to automatically record hit-and-runs"

It has a rechargeable battery or capacitor so is constantly sensor ready even when the car is locked and there is no power to the dashcam. I've tried it kicked a wheel and it records for 3 minutes (adjustable from 1 to 5 minutes) and locks the recording so it can't be recorded over.

Another reason I don't remove the dashcam anymore.