Help needed

Use this board to discuss about Science, Space exploration, Computers, New gadgets...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 18:34

Help needed

Hi gang i wonder if any one out there in laptop land can help please, i have an old laptop i use just for games and a brand new one for every thing else, i recently uploaded the old gaming laptop to windows 10 and it has worked well, except i turned it off one evening and the following morning it would not start up at all.

Left it plugged into the mains all day and still it would not start, i know the battery is a bit old and did charge to a certain amount of power but i just cannot understand why it does not open, i can here the fan start up and all the usual side lights light up and then it just dies.

The worse i can think is the hard drive as given up unless you know different, thanks for reading.

Jack -Disappointment.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 19:30

Re: Help needed

Plug the laptop power supply in and turn the laptop on, does the screen light up with the normal bios/manufacturers screen after which it goes blank maybe with a flashing – in the top left corner of the screen? If yes, then your hard drive is ether corrupted or has failed.

Replacing a hard drive is quite easy and they are reasonably cheap, a solid-state hard drive is even better although more expensive. Installing Windows 10 from a USB image is both quick and almost fool proof.

Sadly, recovering your programs and files from the old hard drive is more complicated and may even be impossible though.

Good luck
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 18 10:57

Thanks Keyholder but nothing comes on the screen what so ever, it just makes a whirling noise as in the fan starting up and all the lights go out and stops, as said it is only an additional laptop i play games on and not my main laptop so not really bothered just wondered as to why it just failed like it did, turn on OK turn off OK but turn back on the following day and nothing. -Sleepy.png-

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 18 13:20

That’s a shame maybe a power supply issue or the mainboard inside or CPU has just given up. Just another thing to try:

Remove the battery pack plug the power supply in turn the laptop on and see if that makes any difference?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 08:12

Is the connector where you plug in the adaptor loose?

Could be a broken connector onto the power board..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 11:00

Vera wrote: Mon, 19th Oct 2020, 8:12am Is the connector where you plug in the adaptor loose?

Could be a broken connector onto the power board..
That's a good point, quite a few of the CO's laptops acquire that fault when they wrap the power cable around the laptop while still being plugged into the laptop
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 13:08

Keyolder wrote: Mon, 19th Oct 2020, 11:00am That's a good point, quite a few of the CO's laptops acquire that fault when they wrap the power cable around the laptop while still being plugged into the laptop
No i checked all that as i did have an old laptop once you daren't move it or the power was lost, just going to bin it and buy a refurbished second hand laptop just to play the games on i think, thanks for the help folks most appreciated. -Waving.png-