Football during Covid-19

Discuss all types of sport from Football, Golf, F1, Horse Racing, Keeping fit and Gyms...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2020 30 23:24

Football during Covid-19

Although I am not a football fan, I appreciate that many people live for the game. I wonder what your views are of allowing football games to take place behind closed doors?

My own thought is that football is a contact sport. You can't have 22 footballers ( plus linesmen, referees, subs, cameramen etc) and keep strict social distancing. I bet the players would forget all about social distancing if they scored a goal. They'd be hugging each other, doing silly dances, kissing each other. You'll never stop footballers from spitting every few minutes.

Would they test each player to check they don't have the virus? And if yes, how often would they test them?

I tend to think that the financial losses the Coronavirus has caused the game and the loss in revenue for TV companies like BT & Sky TV is the main motivation for finding ways to bring it back. Not providing enjoyment for the public or the safety of everyone involved in the game.

Horse racing is different, you have 1 guy sitting on a horse and social distancing could work. Cricket... well, it shouldn't be a contact sport but guess it can be. But football... No.

I guess I'm saying all sports should continue to be cancelled until we are over this pandemic. Football should do it's bit out of respect for the 26,000 people who have died due to this virus and for the people of our nation who have (and continue to) make such a huge sacrifice. Just by asking to play football while we are stuck indoors, I feel they have let us all down a bit.

Over to you 🙂
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 01 08:22

Re: Football during Covid-19

I am a massive Arsenal fan and have been since i was about 5 when my grandad took me to my first Arsenal game, BUT, i think it is too early to start any football games, there are other sports that could be played as long as crowd control is strictly social distancing.

Fishing for example could be OK as normally they keep their distance and they have no team crews to come into contact with unlike football, FI racing, horse racing, and the golf players could also resume as it is just the caddy to keep the distance from the player.

I am sure their are lots of sports where crowding is avoidable and could go ahead but at the moment we are apparently just arriving at the peak of covid 19 and we could be relaxing our lock down laws way to early yet, better to concentrate on opening up certain business's to get the economy back on track. -Disappointment.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 01 20:23

The problem will be that there is very likely to be no gap between the completion of the existing season & the start of the next in August. Even if the matches are played behind closed doors the fixture build up is already huge. And if the virus flares up again, we will be back to square one.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 26 23:27

As you might guess I support Newcastle United and have done for 45 years. Up here we are all desperately hoping that the Mike Ashley era is coming to an end but it seems to be dragging on and nobody will believe it has happened until we see the new owners on the pitch with a shirt above their heads.There are many things that Ashley has done wrong at my club, too many to mention but I will give you a couple of incidents since lockdown began.

I an on a 10 years season ticket deal, the catch with that is that you have to pay in March for the following season. On March 26th this year a few hundred pounds was taken out of my bank account to pay for next seasons ticket, even though nobody knows when it may start or if we will be allowed into the ground to watch. I had also bought a ticket for the next round of the FA cup,£15 for that and of course there are 5 or 6 home matches that I am missing for the end of this season. A lot of other clubs have offered refunds and stopped taking payment for future season tickets but what does Mike Ashley do about that? NOTHING at all. The man is dreadful and cannot see that in the current situation that people may need that money to get by but he continues to refuse to refund anyone. You could look and say that if he is close to selling then he doesn't need to but lots of other clubs have done just that, it is very annoying but after 13 years of his antics it is not surprising. Just remember that the Govt had to tell him to shut his tat shops after he said they were essential, he is a greedy human being.

Anyway, that is the moans and groans out of the way but we hope for a change. Nobody up here thinks they deserve success with the football team but we do want to see some ambition and someone willing to fund the team to at least make then competitive, something sadly lacking over the last 13 years. Good luck to all of the football teams that any of you guys on here support and lets hope that we can get back into the grounds as soon as possible, just to lift our spirits.

HOWAY THE LADS
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
wjt28
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 27 08:13

My team are very much lower league. We can't go up, or get relegated regardless of what happens this season so it matters little to us.
The desperation to restart behind closed doors exposes something not many people have noticed; that the game no longer needs supporters. When TV money and sponsorship is enough for games to be played without gate receipts and programme or merchandise sales then there is a serious question as to exactly how much of a spectator sport it really is now?

I've been watching the German game since it restarted. Distancing before the game, elbow tapping in place of hand shaking and elbow tapping to celebrate goals. All a total waste of time when you see the game being played-tacking,shoulder charging, grabbing of arms and head rubbing are commonplace. The game cannot be played in the safe manner they'd have us believe, no more than our pupils can distance for any meaningful length of time.

The desire to restart is nothing to do with doing it safely, it is purely the leagues making sure they don't have to refund the TV companies if the season is ended.

I absolutely agree sport should be ended right now. People only need the slightest hint that they can ignore distancing measures-we've seen that over the last few weeks and particularly this weekend. Imagine the attitude change when they can say " well footballers can contact each other, we can too".
when you've got a minute can you just.......
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 27 08:49

No to any contact sport regardless of the sums of money involved.

I'm an Archer, the governing body has given the go ahead to resume field archery (no indoor yet) within very strict guidelines which basically means it is practice only. it would be impossible to run a tournament under the current guidelines.

I'm not going back as yet as i dont want my relatively high risk job to be possibly cross contaminating to other friends at the archery club.

Any sport which puts players or participants closer than 2m should continue to be banned.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2020 27 09:04

Ouch!, Archery is one sport I hope is non-contact lol 🏹
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2020 27 10:43

My Daughter was into that, but had to leave it as it was giving her back problems, the `Draw` can be quite hard on the back and shoulders. but she had not spent much on it, well. not as much as it cost me. -Cry.png-
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 27 14:36

Never been a football fan but feel for all of you that are..Now when is the Motogp starting -Big grin.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 28 08:08

Buffer wrote: Wed, 27th May 2020, 2:36pm Never been a football fan but feel for all of you that are..Now when is the Motogp starting -Big grin.png-
Now that is a contact sport! Rossi v Marquez -Scared.png- -Big grin.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 28 09:55

Nigel wrote: Thu, 28th May 2020, 8:08am Now that is a contact sport! Rossi v Marquez -Scared.png- -Big grin.png-
-Like.png-
LUFC
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 22 16:03

Leeds promoted at last!

We are back in the big time -Big grin.png- -Waving.png-
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 23 09:25

LUFC wrote: Wed, 22nd Jul 2020, 4:03pm Leeds promoted at last!

We are back in the big time -Big grin.png- -Waving.png-
Well done Leeds. Its nice to see them back in the top flight after such a long absence. Lets hope they stay there! It did not seem right that they were down the leagues. Always had a massive following too. Glad my sons old school pal had a part to play too. (Jack Harrison). Is he staying with you or will City want him back? -Like.png-
LUFC
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 23 15:39

Rockstar wrote: Thu, 23rd Jul 2020, 9:25am Well done Leeds. Its nice to see them back in the top flight after such a long absence. Lets hope they stay there! It did not seem right that they were down the leagues. Always had a massive following too. Glad my sons old school pal had a part to play too. (Jack Harrison). Is he staying with you or will City want him back? -Like.png-
Harrison has signed on loan with us (again!) which most Leeds fans are happy with as he is getting better + better.

I think if we manage to keep the manager we will have a chance of staying up. With some good investment I can see us staying in the PL for a very long time. -Waving.png-