A Baseball poser for Trout

Discuss all types of sport from Football, Golf, F1, Horse Racing, Keeping fit and Gyms...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 20:10

A Baseball poser for Trout

Trout, given that your all wise words on baseball seem to have fallen victim to the crash, I am throwing out a strictly "No Googling" challenge. Here goes.

In the year that Jim Laker took 19 wickets against Australia at Old Trafford, what remarkable feat did Don Larsen achieve in that year`s World Series? That should be the easy bit, knowing your knowledge of stats. But who emulated this achievement in the National League? Who was he pitching for? Who were the unlucky opponents? And what was the year?
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 12:44

Re: A Baseball poser for Trout

I must admit a little, I don't google but I had to look at my baseball card collection a little.
Don larsen pitched the perfect game and first "No Hitter" in the World Series in 1956, I don't remember which game at this time, I'll think about that.
It's a record that stood until the Phillies Roy Holliday did the same in 2010. I know the Brooklin Dodgers were the loser in '56 but can't remember who in 2010.
Larsen was with the St. Louis Browns when they moved to Baltimore in 1954 to become my beloved Orioles. Why he never made it to the Hall of Fame I'll never know. Both later signed with that team from New York who's name I can never mention" after their feat, Holliday had a stint with the Toronto Blue Jays before moving to that team.
Just curious, do y'all have a soccer team here like that team from N.Y. here?
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 13:30

Good effort there mate.

Halliday died tragically young in a plane crash in 2017. He was 40.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 13:49

Sorry slightly off topic but there is an enjoyable family film (well at least I think it is enjoyable) called The Sandlot, it’s about growing up in America in the mid-sixties Baseball and a junk yard dog called Hercules.
Very watchable -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 14:51

Keyolder wrote: Sat, 10th Oct 2020, 1:49pm Sorry slightly off topic but there is an enjoyable family film (well at least I think it is enjoyable) called The Sandlot, it’s about growing up in America in the mid-sixties Baseball and a junk yard dog called Hercules.
Very watchable -Like.png-
I cannot remember the name o the film but Madona was i it when the ladies took up base ball, great film. -Like.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 15:20

EBJ wrote: Sat, 10th Oct 2020, 2:51pm I cannot remember the name o the film but Madona was i it when the ladies took up base ball, great film. -Like.png-
A League of Their Own -Success.png- yes another good film -Like.png-
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 15:24

I like Robert Redford in The Natural and Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams.

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 15:53

trout39843 wrote: Sat, 10th Oct 2020, 3:24pm I like Robert Redford in The Natural and Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams.
I watched Field of Dreams last week on Sky, another good Baseball film. I’ll have a lookout for The Natural then -Like.png-
Off topic: I watched Dances with Wolves a few weeks back, another highly enjoyable Kevin Costner film that I’ve never seen before -Shock.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 10 20:22

Trout, please can you explain signing by the catcher. And what have the Astros been up to that has upset sports writers in regard to stealing signs? Why does it matter?
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 11 09:37

Baseball is a gentleman's game. All the teams have their own hand and arm signals to communicate with their players. The Astros and a few other teams were caught using the different cameras to look at the signals and using reverse engineering could figure out what the other team was saying, giving them an unfair advantage. The catcher uses his fingers to tell the pitcher what type of pitch to throw in order to try and get the batter to strike out or walk him. The 3rd base coach signs to the players on base what to do.
I guess it would be like another team stealing the play book from the opponent in soccer over here.
CHEATING!