Fishing

Discuss all types of sport from Football, Golf, F1, Horse Racing, Keeping fit and Gyms...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

strider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 16 14:29

Fishing

Does anyone here go fishing? I love fishing My love for fishing was started by the caretaker in my old school back in the 80s, the school I went to had a large pond which the caretaker would fish in at weekends and allow me to join him.
There was a fishing club at the school but I didn't really fit in with them. so the hours spent with the old caretaker at the weekends are great memories. I feel so bad now that I cant remember his name.
Also the fact that I've not been fishing in a year now has got to be bad for my mental health ha ha ha
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 16 18:17

Re: Fishing

I've never been fishing. A guy once sold me a rod & reel and I thought I'd go with a friend fishing once.

When my mate saw what I had bought, he explained it was a sea fishing rod and reel not a river/pond rod. I sold it on again.

So nope, never been fishing.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 16 20:11

Same here. Could never get into it.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 16 20:18

No never got into it but did try a few times when a lad, but my younger brother is fishing made. got enough fishing equipment to start his own shop up. he has 3 boys and two of them are also mad on fishing, my brother also has a static caravan like i do but he made sure he was on a site that has three fishing lakes so he is in heaven. -Happy.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 04:53

Love fishing. Did it with friends as a boy, didn't catch much but had a great time. Left it for a few years when I moved down south but a colleague got me back into it. Then life took over. Lockdown sparked it up again last year. I find it therapeutic. If they're biting the day passes quickly and I'm happy. If they're not i get to sit in beautiful surroundings, peace and quiet and let my mind settle. Im not the social type and I'm not into competitions or matches. I get more satisfaction from catching a perch than a carp and at the back end of this year I'd like to try for pike. Never done that before.
Lazycyclist
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 09:00

Isn't it sad how times have changed.
These days we'd risk assess the pond on school grounds, then fill it in and don't get me started on being 1 to 1 with a pupil out of school hours !
I used to spend a lot of time as a schoolboy, talking to the groundsman in his hut, it would be out of bounds now. Come to that they probably don't have a groundsman, it'll be contracted out.
Don't you miss the happier, more innocent times ?
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 10:23

I love going out sea fishing here in Spain. -Cool.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 11:08

Lazycyclist wrote: Wed, 17th Feb 2021, 9:00am Isn't it sad how times have changed.
These days we'd risk assess the pond on school grounds, then fill it in and don't get me started on being 1 to 1 with a pupil out of school hours !
I used to spend a lot of time as a schoolboy, talking to the groundsman in his hut, it would be out of bounds now. Come to that they probably don't have a groundsman, it'll be contracted out.
Don't you miss the happier, more innocent times ?
We had a smashing pond the former caretaker constructed and as he was a part time fire fighter he got the brigade to fill it up, lots of plants and all the associated insects, dragon flys, frogs etc thriving and a water hole for a lot of bird life, i even built with the children a frog house seating areas and i put a chain link fence up around it and gates. But some one decided a pond was too dangerous for children ( i played and learnt to swim in a canal for christ ske) so they had it filled in, i was really upset as i had no knowledge it was going to be done, went down there one day and the water had gone as the gardening TA had put a knife into it all. -Angry.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 12:09

Strictly sea fishing for me, and just catch and release.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 12:28

I went as a young boy with uncles but it seemed a bit boring and I never got interested in it, unlike my cousins who took up the sport seriously
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 17:08

Went out on a mates boat 9 years ago and caught in excess of 50 whiting in 2 hours, from there in I was hooked(sorry couldn’t resist)
I bought a derelict boat soon after and been doing it up ever since. One whole summer the boat was in the school playground whilst we did a lot of painting and other works to it,

Been fishing ever since when the weather permits, nice to sit out on the waves with the sun in the sky drowning a few worms or whatever, peaceful until you catch a Conga eel..
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 19:31

Went river fishing in Sussex once in the 70's, middle of summer, 6am start till 12 noon.

Great day, didnt catch a thing but very therapeutic, dead silence and watching the wildlife in action all along the river banks.

Enjoyed every minute apart from the cows creeping up on me and one snorting in my right ear, scared the life out of me, ninja heffers, and my mate laughing his butt off.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
NGJOBS
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 22:20

Sea fishing for me. Before I got into caretaking spent many an hour on the concrete boat (Dover breakwater) and many times on Hythe and Princess Parade beaches.
Loved it.
Now just the odd Mackerel session whilst sunbathing in the Summer. Bring it on!!!
jaycclayton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 18 13:54

Coarse fisherman me, all me life. Try to get out on a Sunday, and forget all the pressures and stupidity of the job. Quiet relaxing lake and peace and quiet, just the job for me -Thumb_up-
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 19 14:23

Been going since the late 70's.
Started with coarse fishing & many a time would sit there with no bait on, just enjoying the surroundings.
The through the wife & her family have been going sea fishing.
Got all my bits ready to start making rigs up.
Also in the past year bought an old cane rod & centre pin(never used either type before) to go trotting on a small river or stream soon(fat chance)
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSIMIST