I'm not a football fan

Discuss all types of sport from Football, Golf, F1, Horse Racing, Keeping fit and Gyms...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 04 12:05

I'm not a football fan

I never have been. I can never understand how so many grown men get so excited about kicking a ball around a bit of grass. But hay ho, that's just me and I'm a softy southerner.

But as I see it, Turkey refused to have the Champions League Final in their country. Boris then refused to relax the rules to have the match take place at Wembley. So, Portugal welcomed us with open arms. An estimated 16,000 British people travelled to Portugal not just to watch the match, but to drink, party like there was no tomorrow and take a little holiday.

1234.jpg

The result from this is, Portugal has seen a massive rise in COVID cases and now our COVID rates are on the rise too, undoing all the hard work we have all put in to head towards freedom from restrictions. Now there is criticism that Portugal has been taken off the green list of safe countries to visit (now there's a surprise).

I expect there will be an uproar if the government postpones the reopening on 21st June.

And who will we have to blame? -Angry.png-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 04 12:13

Re: I'm not a football fan

The decision not to allow the match to take place at Wembley, even behind closed doors, is a mystery.
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 04 14:11

I do not like football either. I understand that the said game was not allowed in the UK as the Ref and Linesman was from counties on the Red travel list.

If you look into the history of Football and Golf both are banned in the UK and many other counties. It is one of many laws that have never been revoked.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jun 2021 04 19:31

Hey, I’m a Geordie, and I can’t stand football either.

I’ve only been to two matches in my life.
One…
In Cyprus - Cyprus v Scotland. It was go to the match or do guard duty (I was with the U.N. at the time)

Two…
In Spain (I was attached to the Spanish Army). No idea of the teams, but the Spanish National Front kicked off, and got a good hiding from the police, which was far more interesting.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jun 2021 05 09:47

I agree entirely with what you said CT, and this `Entitlement` to a holiday that some people are demanding is getting right up my nose Health should be their priority.
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 06 07:45

And there I was thinking I was on my own. I was taken to see QPR in the 80's. Hated it. Other than that the only matches I've been to I was wearing a blue uniform and really not enjoying all the aggression.
Later as a cabby, passengers would often try to start a conversation with "who do you support" They were the quietest trips, although one old boy got very confrontational when I admitted to not liking the game.
And now, having witnessed the pain death and misery caused by this virus, people are so eager to "get back to normal" it makes me wonder about their sanity.
I have zero problems with social distancing. I've been practicing for years.
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 06 13:29

Drone wrote: Fri, 4th Jun 2021, 12:13pm The decision not to allow the match to take place at Wembley, even behind closed doors, is a mystery.
Apparently,
There were efforts to move the match to Wembley but, after talks with the UK Government on Monday, the Football Association could not secure quarantine exemptions for thousands of sponsors set to attend

While the final capacity in Portugal is set to be fixed, 6,000 tickets will be made available to both Chelsea and Man City fans.

The bid to host the game at Wembley is said to have failed as the UK Government could not give UEFA guarantees over the COVID exceptions it wanted for members of staff, VIPs and sponsors.

I have no love of the game, too many cheats and prima donna's.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 07 08:05

well said CT. -Thumb_up-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-