Those of us who have retired

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2019 03 20:08

Those of us who have retired

How many of you keep in touch with your old schools & old colleagues?
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2019 03 21:24

Re: Those of us who have retired

Not me. I'm afraid that when new management came in, I was very quickly in the "Face doesn't fit" category and along with a number of teachers, found myself "encouraged to leave" and after a year of feeling sick to go to work, after nearly 28 years being there, I quit, walked away and never looked back, nor have I ever been near the place again.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2019 03 21:38

Snap, not me. I'm afraid that when the new academy came in, I was very quickly in the "Face doesn't fit" category and along with a number of teachers, found myself "encouraged to leave". Exactly the same as DR. I found another job with the contractor I used (pays to make friends), so quit, walked away and never looked back, nor have I ever been near the place again.
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2019 04 10:22

I will be in the same category as Dragonrider and thecaretaker, hopefully very soon -Like.png-
Nobby
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2019 16 13:15

Same here when the school was taken over I did not fit in and 13 of us got made redundant and I to have not been the place since.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2019 16 13:26

The time was right for me to retire, keys and swipe card handed over only ever been in to reception to collect my post.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it… -Crazy.png-
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2019 16 14:08

Once I left it was time to move on. They replaced me 3 other caretakers, the Senior Caretaker has a different way of going about things, so let them get on with it. After I retired I worked on a consultancy basis and after a few half days being asked to call in this dried up. Life is too short to get involved with something that was in the past.
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2019 16 16:23

I have a few TA's on Facebook who are still in regular contact but unfortunately I left the school after a massive argument with the BM, wish it had not occurred , and I have never been in contact since or them with me dispite me saying I will always be available if you have a problem and need help with it.

Well I know they had problems but I never received a phone call from the school, even though my parting was difficult my heart was still within the school and despite differences I would have gladly stepped in to help.

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
VIKING
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2020 02 14:06

I have three grandchildren at the school I worked at so I am always in and out. Last September they phoned me up to do supply cover caretaker , long story fellow who got my job was suspended and now finished. If you look on Sefton councils jobs the vacancy at B P S has been put on today.
"Well stocked rivers, lakes and streams these are a fisherman's favourite dreams."
fagin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 07 15:36

after the way, I was treated i handed in my keys and walked away and not looked back and that's after 30+ years service all I got from surrey was a letter telling me I had 3 months to get out. I hear from one of the teachers by text from time to time and two of the classroom assistants that's all rant over
Dennis
fagin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 17 12:26

just before I retired they employed a new bm from day 1 my face didn't fit whatever i did was wrong one of the teachers asked me to chang a flashing light my usual reply was sure Friday fortnight they knew it would be within an hour she heard it i got into an awful lot of trouble the teacher new i didn't mean it i was glad to retire and go no love lost there rant over