So, how many of you are retired?

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 13:23

Re: So, how many of you are retired?

devotee wrote: Fri, 13th Nov 2020, 2:37pm So how does the LGPS count for early retirement?

If anyone was member of LGPS and took early retirement please guide us.

Many thanks

in advance.
My first employment pension scheme in a factory for 15 years until I was made redundant and it was deferred and ticked over until I got a job caretaking with a local council 2 years later, I then made enquiries of my factory pension being transferred into the LGPS, It turned out it was worth 19 years service, so I agreed to transfer it. The LPGS followed me from job to job with 3 different councils and finally although still a LGPS contracted over to the new academy status pension scheme, no gains, no loses, but still in the hands of Suffolk county council. As things were not working out to well under the the management at the academy and knew I would not give up my job and home easily, I enquired about taking my pension at 60 and all was explained and agreeable to me and said it could be put into place within a couple of months of me giving them the instruction to proceed, I fought and held on to my job and home for as long as I could and then came to a agreement on leaving (kinda like a private redundancy, but all hush hush) the academy management gave me 3 months notice in lieu and including in the agreement that on the last day of the summer term (break up for the summer holidays) that would be my last working day, a date was agreed that my contracts re job and home would cease on the 31st August and would receive my full pay to that date, but pay no rent (£80 per month) with my private redundancy paid on the 30th August. So once I received my 3 months notice I informed my pension providers I want to receive and accept my pension entitlements on my 60th birthday in the month of September. All went to plan and I am very happy with what I received, I opted for a large lump sum and a smaller but liveable monthly pension, because I do not want any tax implications when I receive my state pension (trying to keep below the tax threshold) No tax has never been paid on my lump or monthly pension. Infract I received a full tax rebate for my earnings when working at the academy = April to August in July of this year. I will also mention that the pension people will not advise you on what is best for you, as they are not financial advisers, so the final decision is down to you, so do your homework or speak to a financial adviser. Good Luck and make some enquiries with the LGPS if your serious, they don't bite.
devotee
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 08:45

Thank you both of you.
That was very helpful information.
devotee
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 08:48

Dear Admin can you please create a forum for below?

Is it worth to join Union? and how much it cost monthly and which one is better?
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 16:12

devotee wrote: Mon, 16th Nov 2020, 8:48am Dear Admin can you please create a forum for below?

Is it worth to join Union? and how much it cost monthly and which one is better?
Personally yes, They were very supportive with the problems I had and although I lost my job and home, I got something out of it, to which I would have never known or got without the Union. I was with Unison and my monthly contribution over the years was about £10. but it all depends on what you earn more or less, They were always there for me and the management hated it. My rep had been educated to a university level and tied knots around the schools C.E.O and personnel manager. I can always remember him putting them in their place with the BULL they were trying to fob us of with, Professional people my backside, more like chancers. I loved it for 18 months of talks and meetings.
devotee
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 18:48

Thanks for advice. I'll check UNISON site.
gm47
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 20 17:02

It depends on the union rep that you get whether it's worth it or not. Unluckily I had the most incompetent guy you could ever wish to meet. I paid in nearly £3K in union dues and the only 2 times I needed help over 21 years they were absolutely useless.
To be fair to him he got the job cos no one else wanted it and he realised that he wasn't really up for it. In the end after 2 years trying I finally gave up on him and just retired.
Though in saying all that I would still recommend joining a union, working with children if you ever have problems with a child the HT will always side with the child, you really need someone on your side in the worst happens, luckily I never had a problem in that area but it was a good insurance just in case.
Just check out the Rep if poss, see how long he has been in the job and if you can find out from other members if he is ok or not.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 20 17:10

gm47 wrote: Fri, 20th Nov 2020, 5:02pm It depends on the union rep that you get...
That's very true. In my area, our Unison rep and local Unison support was useless. GMB was much better. I actually became a rep for GMB towards the end of my caretaking career. It really does depend on the people in your area. Ask around and see what other people say. Even ask the reps, the Unison rep (our bursar at the time) said locally, they were very disorganised and she never got any support.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Redstrat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 24 15:46

I retired in 2014 and have not missed the job at all.
The school have asked me go come back 3 or 4 times to "help out" but I was too busy playing my guitars in 2 bands (or on my own at present).....They said we would really appreciate it. Shame they didn't appreciate all my efforts while I was there.
Such is life>
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 25 14:29

Redstrat wrote: Tue, 24th Nov 2020, 3:46pm I retired in 2014 and have not missed the job at all.
The school have asked me go come back 3 or 4 times to "help out" but I was too busy playing my guitars in 2 bands (or on my own at present).....They said we would really appreciate it. Shame they didn't appreciate all my efforts while I was there.
Such is life>
Shame they didn't appreciate all my efforts while I was there! -Like.png-
mr1957strat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 28 16:02

Redstrat wrote: Tue, 24th Nov 2020, 3:46pm I retired in 2014 and have not missed the job at all.
Such is life>
Retired in July 2018 at 62 years young.
Playing guitar and writing songs most days.
Keep on rockin!
👍🎸🎸
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 30 07:08

mr1957strat wrote: Sat, 28th Nov 2020, 4:02pm Retired in July 2018 at 62 years young.
Playing guitar and writing songs most days.
Keep on rockin!
👍🎸🎸
Retirement does give you time to pursue your hobbies like never before. Work kinda gets in the way -Big grin.png-

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
seasider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 30 09:16

3 weeks and counting -Thumb_up-