Medical retirement early

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 07:14

Medical retirement early

Have any of you recently medically retired early ?

Iv worked in this role for 26 years but have been told my knee is arthritic with muscle issues.

As only 57 i am unsure what the requirements are for possible early retirement ?

Thanks !
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 07 08:51

Re: Medical retirement early

I left at 55 but that was due to bullying from the new Head and Board of Governors. I then had a couple of strokes a few years ago which meant that I was unable to work properly any longer. Not sure if that counts?

Never claimed anything, lived on my savings until my personal pensions came through.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 13:11

I took early retirement on health grounds. The boss made me sick. More than a grain of truth in that old Les Dawson joke.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 14:56

Contact your local government pension provider if you have one and ask, I found them very helpful. But I waited until I was 60, when I took early retirement. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 15:43

Thanks - as all ways.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 15:52

at 57 you could take flexi retirement. Claim your pension at slightly reduced but you get your lump sum, still slightly reduced but if its enough to pay off your mortgage its worth it. Then you can restart your same job at just 16 hours a week for a min of a month then you carry on or up the hours to however many is suitable up to full time again and you start paying into a new pension if you need to continue topping up.
Breezeblock
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 21:20

I assume you are in the Local Government Pension Scheme? If so, you may be able to claim your pension benefits early with no penalty if a medical assessment deems you unable to work. Write to your local pension office and request a copy of the scheme rules. Also take advice from your union if you are a member. Good luck!
We will never see progressive change until people stop believing what they read in newspapers