Staff restructuring

Chat about Unions, Contracts, Terms and Conditions, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Drillbit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 11:23

Staff restructuring

Our school is £185,000 in deficit according to the HT and we are forced to restructure the staff. The govs are planning to make 2 MTS and 1 nursery nurse redundant, who went through redundancy battles a couple of years ago already. We are also making our way down to a 2 form in 2024 because can't get enough bums on seats.
Can you please have a look at our staffing structure and tell me if I'm going mad here - We have 4 assistant HT, the HT has PA as well. Surely if we need to restructure to save money, shouldn't we be reducing the top heavy structure? Bare in mind we are a Primary school.

Our unions are looking into the propose structure as well and they agree that they are cutting staff in the wrong places.

Anyone else have a structure like this?

The staff are too scared to talk about it here and I'd like to talk to someone who doesn't hum and haw.

Time to put the kettle on I think.

staff restructure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 12:01

Re: Staff restructuring

I think you may find that the Finance Assistant will be OK as well. Sounds like someone doing a Business Manager`s job for less money.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 12:08

We were going down that route a few years back
At the time was told the only people not affected was site staff.
As LSA left they would not be replaced.
Some of the middle management had said they would take a wage cut, but that wasn't allowed.
In the end it all came to nothing
He who can does, he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 12:43

similar situation here my friend although not quite at the stage your at with redundancies. Our HT is always burdening us with the finiancial plight of the school, even though our numbers haven't drastically fallen. I feel out HT has made some poor hiring decisions and is now burdening us (the staff) with the problems she has created... she has an SLT which recently acquired an extra member of staff due to a HT error in communications about wages. She has kept on the last 4 temporary staff and given them long term contracts who initially were brought in to cover long term illnesses and pregnancies. she and the govs have recently agreed to a £1m extension project which was completed last year. she has recently out sourced the cleaning contract to a company who insist on supplying us 4 memeber of staff to do the work when it has been originally been done by 2/3 her Admin team has increased from 1 finance manager and 2 part time secretaries to a finance manager, 2x full time secretaries and a PA.

its just poorly managed here and as always those lower down the food chain kop the grief of it all
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 14:52

I am in a 2 form primary and we have 1 deputy head, possibly going up to 2 at some point so what the need for that lot of SLT is I don't know.

I used to work in a secondary and the site manager once described a surreal meeting he had where the HT announced the school had a deficit of 400k and the HT (on 120k) the 2 assistant heads (on over 85k each) and the 8 deputy heads (on over 60k each) plus some other highly paid staff were talking about how many of the lowest paid they were going to have to cut to balance the books.

Barely any of these SLT did any teaching whatsoever so not sure how much value they were actually bringing to the pupils education.
Drillbit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 15:39

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the madness.

I have asked to be trained and a union rep and hopefully I'll be able to ask the hard questions with my union. It's sad that it has been allowed to get like this - I know that the HT is on 90K at least, who knows what the AHT are on.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 15:52

Are the assistant heads just assistant heads or are they teachers as well? Same for the phase leaders - separate to the main teachers or are they included in the class techers as well?

It does seem very top heavy to me for a primary of that size.
Drillbit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 16:02

Nail wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 3:52pm Are the assistant heads just assistant heads or are they teachers as well? Same for the phase leaders - separate to the main teachers or are they included in the class techers as well?

It does seem very top heavy to me for a primary of that size.
The phase leaders are all teachers, as for the AHTs two of them are teaching full time and the other two share a class.
scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 16:33

5 years ago we had
1 HT
1 DH (who taught 2.5 days a week)
1 SENCO (who was also a full time CO and only got 1 afternoon a week from teaching to cover her SENCO role)
1 Finance lady
1 admin

now we have
1 Executive head (with a PA)
1 HT
2 DH (neither teach)
1 full time SENCO (no teaching)
1 Welfare officer
3 in finance
2 in admin

and they wonder where the money all goes!

To be honest since we became a MTA I am amazed by the wastage of money and not just staff wages. For example the SM here found a saving of £250 for the PAT test, MTA says we must all use the same company despite costing more. They also will only allow us to use companies already on the finance system and if we find cheaper else where touch luck.
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 18:51

Don’t forget the C.E.Os, some of which have rather large salaries! When we went from L.E.A four years ago with three other schools in the area, a C.E.O was employed at 100K! + a company car and a P.A on 40K! At the end of the day it was the support workers that were dismissed. Glad I took early retirement to get out of the rat race. Heartbreaking!!!
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 19:01

Looks top heavy to me, but aren't they all!
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 07:58

Your school should take note of the big companies who always start with the senior staff as that is where the big bucks are being spent and not the lower staff on peanuts. -Success.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 08:36

Skoolkeeper wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 6:51pm Don’t forget the C.E.Os, some of which have rather large salaries! When we went from L.E.A four years ago with three other schools in the area, a C.E.O was employed at 100K! + a company car and a P.A on 40K! At the end of the day it was the support workers that were dismissed. Glad I took early retirement to get out of the rat race. Heartbreaking!!!
Once worked for an MAT where the CEO was on a max salary (they literally weren't allowed to pay him more).
Then he went to term time only (same pay) then he was term time plus 2 weeks extra to take when he wanted -JawDropped.png-

This to the backdrop of very large redundancies (20 TA's in one go) plus others including site staff.

It beggars belief sometimes the damage that Academies do to the education system..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 08:41

Drillbit wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 4:02pm The phase leaders are all teachers, as for the AHTs two of them are teaching full time and the other two share a class.
Ok,

Not as bad a I thought but still a lot heavier weighting than a lot of schools I've experienced.
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 16:37

Well it makes us look lean and we just about break even.

We are a two form entry Primary School + nursery

Head (no PA normally writes own letters etc)
Deputy Head who is also the SENCO

Assistant Head who is also Teaching unless required to be out of the classroom
Total of 14 teachers
Three of the teachers are on the SLT which meets after school Key Stage 1, Key Stage 2, Early Years

1 Nursery Manager with 2 staff

A collection of TA's which of course a percentage of the salary is paid from the plans
Assistant SENCO we have approximately 50 children with plans

two office staff
1 day week finance manager

Facility Manager (me)
5 cleaners (2.5 hours)
8 dinner ladies (2.0 hours)