Dogs on site

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 03 17:34

Re: Dogs on site

I live on site, had my dog for 10 years, she opens up with me, all the staff etc love her.

got a cat as well.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 03 22:06

DCHickpeas wrote: 3rd Sep 2021 at 9:37pm Thanks again and if anyone else has/had a different breed please let me know!
The sight impaired piano tuner had a golden Labrador guide dog that all the children loved, I’m sure the dog loved all the attention as well -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 04 02:33

My dogs have always been small dogs. Years back the head would have a day where staff would bring their pets in for the younger children that didn't have pets could se them. This was to teach them how to approach an animal. Basics, like asking before approaching or petting a dog. At first let the dog sniff the back of your hand. It would give a lot of the children a bit more confidence. Also majority of the African children tended to be afraid of dogs as they didn't have,it was so good to see the fear disappear. They would start of with the smaller dogs of Yorkshire terriers & shihtzus then finishing with collies & greyhounds.
From My Posts You Can See I Am On The Spectrum [Forgive.png]
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 04 09:20

DCHickpeas wrote: 3rd Sep 2021 at 9:37pmbut I kind of like the idea of the dog in my story being a Jack Russell or a smaller dog.
There not dogs, they’re trip hazards -Big grin.png-
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 06 14:19

We lived on a National Trust property and the garden was across the access road and somtimes i would get the radio shout of "penny is on the drive barking at the cars", problem was the entrance office was run by a human Penny. So it got differentiated to radio shouts of Dog penny or human Penny.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 06 15:37

DCHickpeas wrote: 3rd Sep 2021 at 9:37pm Thanks so much for all your replies - this is really helpful!

I particularly like the idea of the dog being a therapy dog - I think I’m going to try and work that in to the story.

My old school’s caretaker’s dog was an Alsatian too but I kind of like the idea of the dog in my story being a Jack Russell or a smaller dog.

I’ll definitely let you know when the book is out - it’s scheduled for summer 2022 but publishers change these things at the drop of a hat.

Thanks again and if anyone else has/had a different breed please let me know!
I went for a job at Easter (didn't get it) which had tied accommodation. One of the first questions I asked was if they were happy to let a dog stay on site as we have a Miniature Dachshund. Was told not a problem at all, in fact the dog would probably end up being more popular than the staff!!

I guess it depends on the school/management. Most would possibly say not on the actual school site during the daytime. My head is fine with mine coming in out of hours - scents the field and helps keep the foxes away!
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 10:18

craigus wrote: 3rd Sep 2021 at 8:06am I live on site and I have 2 jack russells.
ha me too, they have had 4 lots of pups all have been is school to say hello kids loved it -Like.png-