Your thoughts please

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2021 09 04:32

Your thoughts please

Hey all,
Mrs trout thinks it's time for me to retire again. I don't know as I'm s6till having fun.
She and her brother are looking for land on the coast of Wales (so I can fish)and it's looking good.
She also found these places that she likes but when modified can fit our needs.
https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/log-cabins/residential/
I'm trying to keep the total cost down to £50K and it looks good.
Question is;
1. What do y'all think ?
2. Are these things any good ?
3. What is Wales like as I've never been there.
I grew up in the country hills so it don't look too bad.
4. I've had a strong alliance to a hard work ethic. What will I do now?

I guess I'm a bit nervous about it all.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 09 08:14

Re: Your thoughts please

For me at least (when I get there) retirement should be a time to indulge in your hobbies and start to relax and enjoy life without the worry of having work the next day, as a workaholic though I can understand that it can also be daunting prospect, maybe take a phased approach and ease yourself I to it with reduced hours/days if thats possible.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 09 11:04

Personally Trout I would not touch one of those log cabins as a permanent residence. Holiday home, fine. For a start, I am not sure how long they would last. As far as retirement itself is concerned, I think there is a period of adjustment. It took me about 18 months to stop living on school time. You will know when the time is right for you. Of course, you are not an entirely free agent & have Mrs. Trout`s wishes to consider. If you fail to do that... Dead man walking. I believe there is an old saying in the US about no one ever laid on their death bed & thought, "I wish I had spent more time at the office". Maybe it is best to go while you are still enjoying it. Move from one happy chapter of your life to another one that will be different but equally enjoyable?
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2021 09 11:49

I would steer clear. A member of my family almost got one and found out the downsides and managed to pull out of the deal at the last minute. Obviously, I can't go into details. But there was all sorts of additional costs that were not obvious at first. They were not connected to main gas. Had to live off bottled gas. Had to pay for waste water management as they were not plumbed in to normal sewers. They had to pay additional ground rent for site maintenance cost as the land they stood on didn't belong to the owners.

It all initially sounded good with locked gates and security. They had to contribute toward site maintenance costs as all maintenance and repairs had to be carried out by the site owners nominated firm (including an annual charge for treatment work to the wooden chalets homes).

Family member had to threaten court action to get their deposit back. They were not financially able to pay all the money back in one go and eventually, they agreed to pay it back over a period of 5 years. If these places are that close to going bankrupt, where would you stand if they closed up shop. If a new firm was to take it over, you'd probably have to sign a new contract and expect massive cost rises.

Steer clear m8. Buy your own place. -Zip.png- .

EDIT: I thought it was one of these companies who sold you the property and managed the site. Your link is just for the wooden property. You'd have to make your own arrangements to locate it and have it built on a site.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 09 12:22

I’ve only been to Wales twice, both times it rained every other day. Retirement is a great career, you will soon find things to do plus you’ll have the compulsory job list from Mrs Trout to complete.
I can’t comment on the housing situation as I have no experience of those dwellings, but good luck with whatever you choose -Thumb_up-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Oct 2021 09 13:27

With regards to retirement, if you can afford it, go for it.
You’re a long time dead, so take the time and enjoy being with your family.

Wales rains a lot, but lovely place (except the Brecon’s but I’m a tad biased there.)

Log cabins, no idea, but do a whole heck of a lot of looking into it first.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 10 10:58

I cannot help mate with the accommodation as that is yours and the mrs decision to make, but as far as retirement goes and you being a workaholic you will wonder how on earth you found time to go to work and do all the normal things retired people do.

I found it hard after retiring, i left school at 15 and have slogged my way through life and beyond retirement age until i finally stopped, i was bored to death and could not get into a daily routine for quite some time but gradualy life became a pleasure to be able to come and go as you please and choose what and when you do it.

If i were you and funds permitted it i would retire and enjoy life the way it should be not full of frustration in a job where you learn to do with nothing
-Thumb_up- .

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 11 09:40

We looked into log cabins when we lived in spain we owned the land so things are a little different to here in the uk weather been one of them. Personally I would say don't go the log cabin route they look great but in wales cold and wet will not go down well especially in the winter they are also much cheaper in Romania even after shipping. They now do residential prefab park homes that are made to be used in the uk so more up to speck for winter also bare in mind how long it will last will things need replacing in 20 years will you have the funds to go out and buy another. If its on a site that you don't own it will often work out more in ground rent gas and electric etc than it would cost to just rent a nice bungalow in town keep your money in the bank. You also would not have to give the site owner a big chunk of your cash if you need to sell up for doing nothing other than changing a name over. If your going to buy anything bricks and motor is the only way to go unless its dirt cheap and you have a get out plan that is not going to cost you in the long run. I wish you the best what ever your plan -Like.png-
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 11 11:04

My Parents live in a log cabin at the bottom of our garden. They love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else now, been in there for about 5 years. Built to exceed building regs in terms of insulation etc, it hasn't caused any problems. We did a lot of the ground work etc ourselves, came to around £80k all done in the end, fully fitted out, services etc. Not bad for a good sized 2 bedroom cabin. They brought it from Beaver Log Cabins.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 18:36

Many thanks for all your thoughts. Sorry for the long delay as I've been flat out for the past many days, you'll understand when you see the news at the end of the week .
I have checked it out and know the "hidden" costs.
Mrs. trouts brother (Who we are going in with) and knows a lot of friends and I know a few so a lot of the cost will be very low.
Looks like it's time to start prepping.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)