Failing to control the risk from diseases carried by animals

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2021 13 11:01

Failing to control the risk from diseases carried by animals

Does your school keep animals?

The Spencer Academies Trust has been fined after failing to control the risk to humans from infectious diseases carried by animals.

Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court heard how the Trust, which operates 12 schools, failed to properly control the risk from zoonotic diseases to employees, pupils and visitors at one of its academies. The academy school was home to several animals including goats, pigs and rabbits.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the trust had failed to provide adequate washing facilities to control the risks of disease to employees, pupils and visitors to the academy.

The academy had also failed to provide suitable housing for the animals to minimise the risk to children as well as adequate training for staff.

The Spencer Academies Trust, Arthur Mee Road, Stapleford, Nottingham, pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. They were fined £20,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £7,304.10 and a victim surcharge of £170.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Leigh Stanley said: “HSE recognise the wider learning benefits from keeping animals in the school environment, however, schools must ensure that the risks of zoonotic diseases are adequately assessed and effectively controlled. This includes adequate supervision and washing facilities. In this case, the Trust failed to implement suitable arrangements which meant that there was a significant risk to the health of people including the children.”

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Oct 2021 13 11:15

Re: Failing to control the risk from diseases carried by animals

So if/when some genius decides to keep animals on site refer them to this! -Scared.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 13:50

our school is in the process of becoming a forest/opal school and their are plans to introduce a chicken coop -Scared.png-
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 13:58

Chickens I think are manageable if people are onboard.

So far as all the others, no thanks
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 13 16:39

Wouldn't even want chickens. With chickens comes increased numbers of rat and fox visitors.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 16:58

Gazza wrote: 13th Oct 2021 at 1:50pm our school is in the process of becoming a forest/opal school -Scared.png-
--- censored word --- the chickens ,can we come & get some opals -Blush.png-
From My Posts You Can See I Am On The Spectrum [Forgive.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 06:32

and with chickens you have to factor in avian flu so they might need to be kept indoors for a long period of time. Suitable housing for them!
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 07:31

fatten enough of them up for " not to be mentioned before December" dinner- there's a shortage of turkeys don't you know -Scared.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 18 18:08

Just doing a lock up run and found 4 chickens in a tiny pen with no shelter in the nursery garden.

I just give up ! -Zip.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Oct 2021 18 18:15

Vera wrote: 18th Oct 2021 at 6:08pm Just doing a lock up run and found 4 chickens in a tiny pen with no shelter in the nursery garden.

I just give up ! -Zip.png-
Sounds like your local fox will be eating well tonight -Shock.png-
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]