Water temps

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 23 17:27

Re: Water temps

Beanthere wrote: Tue, 23rd Nov 2021, 4:49pm A while ago a tmv failed but it didn’t shut off hot water . It was set at 30 but was letting water through at 45
Had to be replaced.
Your boss' response to this is to test the TMVs twice a week just in case this rarity happens again. Twice vs the amounts of times the taps are used!!! Your chances of discovering the issue before a pupil would be very small.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 23 17:36

Beanthere wrote: Tue, 23rd Nov 2021, 4:49pm A while ago a tmv failed but it didn’t shut off hot water . It was set at 30 but was letting water through at 45
Had to be replaced.
You have been told to check these classroom taps twice per week. Comparing this to the tap usage, you would be really lucky to discover the fault before a pupil did. We had a similar issue that was reported to me by the classroom teacher. It was regarded as very much a one-off and we still just rely on our monthly temp checks and TMV service visits.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 23 17:37

Sorry posted similar post twice as the first seemed to disappear into the ether!
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 23 17:50

You will have a risk assessment that has been done by a professional i hope.

In that risk assessment you will find a testing regime based upon the risks present in your school.

In order of frequency we do checks,

Flushing for little used outlets, weekly

Temperatures, storage and flow, monthly

TMV servicing, quarterly

Water tanks, biannually.

TMVs have filters that must be cleaned and a sticking TMV will result from infrequent or inadequate servicing.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 23 18:09

Had to be replaced.
30C seems very low. 42C is the usual temp and 45C would be ok at 42C setting and no cold water pressure. TMVs will maintain temperature +-2C.

The lowest recommended temperature I could find was 38C for bidets.

Are your water pressures similar and also do the TMVs get cleaned? If you have hard water or very hot water entering the TMV, limescale can affect the sealing ability of the valves quite quickly. Lastly if you have pressure fluctuations, for instance pumped water, the valve can instead of mixing, oscillate hot and cold. Same average temp but it will run hot, then cold etc

There seems little point in checking TMV temperatures so often.
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 24 09:12

I thought our water regime was tough! We have to check every outlet monthly, blended and temp at the pipe plus cold water, over 140 temps every month. Twice a week is way OTT.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 24 14:45

beagle wrote: Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 9:12am I thought our water regime was tough! We have to check every outlet monthly, blended and temp at the pipe plus cold water, over 140 temps every month. Twice a week is way OTT.
Every outlet ? This is what your legionella risk assessment says? Amazing
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 10:53

AndyCornwall wrote: Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 2:45pm Every outlet ? This is what your legionella risk assessment says? Amazing
Almost every one, we don't have to do every single tap, 1 sink per toilet, every classroom sink, kitchen sinks, wash hand basins, boiler house temps and outside taps, its a 6 page document. Some toilets are fed from the same blender, but you still have to do both toilets?

Once you have written them all down, then you have to fill out a digital copy and email it to the council. This has to be done by the 21st of every month.

In the past some site staff have been fired for not doing the temps.

This is a City Council run school, my previous school was two miles down the road and was County Council run, it was twice the size of this one but I only had to take 10 temp readings across the whole site.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 14:44

Have you seen the risk assessment? Well it still seems odd but maybe your plumbing is trash and requires it. Outside taps... they should not have a direct connection to the inside or at least a double check valve making the temperature of them irrelevant.
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 30 14:51

Sentinel Taps are checked monthly
Other taps are checked on a rotational basis. However, at least one tap / loop
Little used tap in the boiler room and one shower weekly.

I