This is the BBC 2022

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 09:30

Re: This is the BBC 2022

Vera wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 8:15am The only thing the BBC needs in 2022 is to ditch the licence fee and go commercial.

It is ridiculous that in this day and age with streaming services and multiple free to view services available that we are still forced to directly fund a very small part of the broadcast system. -Mad.png-
Agreed.

I think it's criminal, especially with the level of wages being paid out.
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 15:24

thecaretaker wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 9:01am But they tend to show all American shows, not home grown UK programmes. At least Brtbox shows the best of UK programmes without adverts if you subscribe.
Tbf they did have plenty of British shows till bbc and itv got greedy and the other streaming sites lost the rights to many of their shows
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 25 16:20

Keyolder wrote: 24th Nov 2021 at 11:54pm I do, plus "Sing Something Simple" on a Sunday evening, my dad used to listen to it regularly. Must have been around the early sixties? -Neutral.png-
I remember them as well and the biggest thing about Sundays in the early to middle 60s was that they were really boring -Big grin.png- -Big grin.png- -Big grin.png-
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 25 16:47

magpie wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 4:20pm I remember them as well and the biggest thing about Sundays in the early to middle 60s was that they were really boring -Big grin.png- -Big grin.png- -Big grin.png-
Yes, I think originally they were just a filler programme to fill a gap, but 'some people' liked it so much, it ended up going on for years.

I do remember waiting for for the Top 20 Chart Show which I think was on Radio 1 from 6-7pm on Sundays. I may have flicked to Radio 2 (Formally The Light Programme) and caught the start or end of Sing Something Simple.

The top 30 charts... How many of you had you finger poised over the record button of you cassette tape recorders. I got pretty good at cutting out the chatter in between the hits. You got yourself a Now tape for free -Big grin.png-

And before anybody shouts out it was illegal, every teenager of a certain age did it. I don't think the copyright laws were enforced in the 60/70's.

Which leads me on to another thing we did. Listening to Pirate Radio stations like Caroline and others.

Who remembers being sent to bed as a kid and hiding the transistor radio under the blankets to listen to Radio Luxemburg (208)? Not that Luxemburg was a pirate station. Parents didn't understand pop music lol -Scared.png-
https://nostalgiacentral.com/music/arti ... uxembourg/

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 18:21

thecaretaker wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 4:47pm I do remember waiting for for the Top 20 Chart Show which I think was on Radio 1 from 6-7pm on Sundays.
I remember that pop pickers, Alan Freemans countdown of the charts on a Sunday evening, my finger hovering over the pause button just before the talky bits. First using a microphone against the speaker grill, then I got all complicated and sellotaped (I was too young to solder) wires to the actual speaker terminals (no headphone out) to avoid the extraneous (had to spell check that) noise of doors closing and mum shouting “come and get your tea”.
-Big grin.png-
I listened to all the pirate radio stations back then, hearing the signal fade out just when you were trying to get the name of the song you just heard, then the signal fades back in again after the next song started…
-Disappointment.png-
I still listen to Radio Caroline now on DAB, one of the few stations still in stereo -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 26 08:52

Oh I remember listening to Radio Caroline under the bed covers (cos we didn't have duvets in those days) and being really exited tuning in to some foreign stations and imagining actually going there! I loved listening to French Radio and trying to decipher what they were saying. I was quite good at french as a teenager, but the DJs always spoke so fast! They didn't seem to play many French songs, mostly our own pop hits with the odd bit of europop. I also remember falling asleep listening to the shipping forecast. All the odd names like East German Byte, Cromity etc. I love that theme tune (Sailing by) to this day and sometimes listen to it if I am having trouble nodding off. Happy Days/nights! -Sleepy.png- -Sleepy.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 26 11:29

Rockstar wrote: 26th Nov 2021 at 8:52am I love that theme tune (Sailing by) to this day and sometimes listen to it if I am having trouble nodding off. Happy Days/nights! -Sleepy.png- -Sleepy.png-
Oh yes, Sailing By is a beautiful tune. -Like.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)