Don’t say midget

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jan 2022 14 17:54

Re: Don’t say midget

I think that some of this comes from genuine good intentions, but a lot ends up going too far. Some 'offensive' terms have been shown to have completely different origins from what is claimed but there is now a powerful industry around 'correcting' people so it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

You also have to wonder if there are vested interests in some cases e.g. some people are upset because the Achilles tendon is named after a man instead of something gender neutral and say it should be banned. There is no doubt a lot of money in it for the 'experts' who would decide on a new name and then in scrapping and replacing all medical textbooks, updating websites etc. - all charged to the taxpayers no doubt many of whom might prefer this money be spent on patient care but will be completely ignored as usual.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 14 19:45

I got pulled up a few months ago for using the midget word. It was by a new member of staff & was done in a jokey(?)way. I should have said "vertically challenged"
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 15 10:24

I wonder if all the pub's called "The Duke of York" will have to change their name now. [Confused.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 15 11:17

I''m so damn tired of this pc,woke,don't offend anyone, I'm offeneded BS.
Why don't we change the name of everything to something like A with a number behind it. But then I guess someone will get offended that their product is called A566489 and not B47 or some stupid stuff like that.
Grow up people and get a back bone. If you don't like something stay the heck away from it or ignore it.
Will Rodgers said it best (with a word change) "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 15 12:10

Yes, all this PC mustn’t say this or mention that also gets a bit much in my humble opinion.

Slightly off topic:
Must admit though, many years ago when I was first appointed to this school, as a friendly person I often joked with the office staff and they with me. One morning I was litter picking by the gate just as the children and parents were coming in, one of the office ladies also walked through the gates and called out to me “missed a bit” morning I replied with a grin. The next day a few parents called out to me morning Mr Bit, word must have got around that was my name as even the kids started calling me it. I laughed it off at first but it soon got on my wick, I quickly corrected people requesting them to call me by my first name. However, they still assumed my surname was Bit for a very long time…

Back on topic:
I remember back in the seventies chalkboards in schools started to be replaced with green boards, so this PC stuff is not really a new thing.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Sausage
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 15 17:52

I remember a lad going to Newmarket races in my old job, he said it was good but was spoiled by hundreds of midgets all over the place, after the laughing had died down he went on to say he meant there was hundreds of midgies flying around..
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 16 11:40

trout39843 wrote: Sat, 15th Jan 2022, 11:17am I''m so damn tired of this pc,woke,don't offend anyone, I'm offeneded BS.
Why don't we change the name of everything to something like A with a number behind it. But then I guess someone will get offended that their product is called A566489 and not B47 or some stupid stuff like that.
Grow up people and get a back bone. If you don't like something stay the heck away from it or ignore it.
Will Rodgers said it best (with a word change) "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
The problem is Trout m8 over the years I have met quite a few people who say things like 'I call a spade a spade" or "Please or offend I say what I like" and when you speak back to them perhaps calling them a 'spade' or say something 'offensive' to them they take real exception to it [Gobsmacked.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 17 14:50

I think that's the thing, if you aren't upset or labeled by something it's much harder to see the issue.

Much like other people's problems seeming petty.