Windows 11

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 15 20:28

Windows 11

Well i bit the bullet and finally took up Windows offer of a free downl0ad of Windows 11 from Windows 10 S, quite expected something quite different but it is nearly the same with a few good extras added. Waited for some time before i did just to see if any teething problems arose first but it appears not much mentioned as to any problems but time will tell. [Success.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 16 09:38

Re: Windows 11

I quite like Windows 11, I have a Surface Go 2 and an older tablet running Windows 11 Preview since last July when it became available on the Windows Insider Program.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 16 11:44

But is it really that much better than Windows 10?
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 16 17:04

Well it had installed OK the only problem i had last night was where the hell is the off button, had to go on line and find out where it was, turned out it was in the windows square at the bottom and down on the right hand side.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 16 18:18

I kind of like it. It was installed on my new gaming PC so I had no choice.
The only thing that bugs me is it keeps lookimg for an Xbox, and I don't even own one! [Angry.png]
It takes some getting used to but I think it's good.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 17 11:10

Drone wrote: 16th Mar 2022 at 11:44am But is it really that much better than Windows 10?
I wouldn’t say better, Windows 10 is still in my opinion a good operating system, it reaches “end of life” in October 2025 after which Microsoft will no longer support it with updates.

I go back to Windows 3.1 and floppy disks through to 95 and 98 with the all-too-common BSOD and then Millennium, the less said about Millennium the better.

Windows 11 is said to be more secure robust and quicker in operation, not really that much different from Windows 10 but there is a lot going on behind the GUI that is invisible to the user.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2022 17 13:53

Keyolder wrote: 17th Mar 2022 at 11:10am I wouldn’t say better, Windows 10 is still in my opinion a good operating system, it reaches “end of life” in October 2025 after which Microsoft will no longer support it with updates.
My memory might not be fully correct, but If like I suspect, so many users are unable to update to Windows 11 due to the strict hardware requirements, it may become like XP. So many people stayed with XP, Microsoft had to support it for much longer. In the end, they had to offer the update for free to force people to use a more secure operating system.

I do remember visiting the hospital. Nearly all the computers were still running XP years after it had its official end of life. Then the NHS was hacked (or got a virus) and they were all forced to update.

It's not that I don't want to update to Windows 11, but its Microsoft won't let me because I don't have a TPM chip and it doesn't support my Intel Core i7 Haswell 4770K Processor. [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2022 18 10:50

Jubbs wrote: 17th Mar 2022 at 9:14pm I tried that and noticed my startup got sluggish and desktop took ages to get settled.

A problem with Firefox just about ended it for me, the last straw was my Virus Killer was task ended and the tray icon would not work.

I reverted back, even then it was not a simple exercise, had to reinstall several programs.
After upgrading from 10 to 11 there is a period where it takes a while to sort itself out, it seems to slow down the machine, I’ve experienced this but after a day or two the sluggishness goes away.

Agreed some programs no longer work with Windows 11 but Firefox is now available as an app in the Windows store.