Do you know what your average monthly broadband data use is?

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2022 19 17:52

Re: Do you know what your average monthly broadband data use is?

steveg wrote: 19th Apr 2022 at 1:30pm I'm looking to split mine too - have been with sky broadband for a while now, but Trooli seem to be rolling out quickly in Sussex and now cover my area, so I can get 300mbit fiber broadband. Will have to transfer my landline over to voip as my parents still use it in the Annex, but would have to do this in 3 years anyway when landlines cease to exist.
Likewise, I've signed up for Lightning Fibre who should be doing my road shortly (by the end of summer). 1GB (10,000Mbps) a second here I come [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Duncan
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 21 06:48

Hmm depends what you want to do, what speeds you can get depends on how far you are from the exchange in my area apart from virgin the highest speed i can get is 57 meg. Ive just gone back to virgin and taken out broadband only for 200 meg speeds it works out £28 a month if you also take out a sim only deal with o2 i got a speed boost so sim only o2 and virgin now 350 meg, one thing to consider though if you are a gamer and your ping is everything if you play say call of duty you tend to ping an extra 5 to 20 higher this is due i an told to virgins dns servers other games are fine like Battlefield just seems to be call of duty.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 21 08:31

Duncan wrote: 21st Apr 2022 at 6:48am Hmm depends what you want to do, what speeds you can get depends on how far you are from the exchange in my area apart from virgin the highest speed i can get is 57 meg. Ive just gone back to virgin and taken out broadband only for 200 meg speeds it works out £28 a month if you also take out a sim only deal with o2 i got a speed boost so sim only o2 and virgin now 350 meg, one thing to consider though if you are a gamer and your ping is everything if you play say call of duty you tend to ping an extra 5 to 20 higher this is due i an told to virgins dns servers other games are fine like Battlefield just seems to be call of duty.

Hi Duncan, I'm not a gamer just average user with TV on demand laptops phones tablets etc. currently there is only three in the houshold but even with just two of us its rubbish really.

I originally swopped from EE broadband and sky tv because of bandwidth issues on my landline with BT unable (at that time to do anything about it due to the age of the cables on the estate.

Virgin I pay an obscene amount of money for tv, broadband phone package I have my mobile with Tesco which is O2 anyway and it is cheaper than O2 with better customer service. I am supposedly on 200 Meg speed but honestly I have never seen anything like that speed in normal use, average on WIFI speed is 30 Meg or so and the best I have ever seen is 95 Meg after a phone call to Virgin to complain. they sent out the new (at the time) Hub, but sure enough a couple of days later it slipped back to the average..

Is it unusual to expect something like the speed that is sold to you?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Duncan
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 21 08:53

Ive been back with virgin for about 3 weeks now and in that time had one day with alot slower speeds i logged into virgin and tested my connection and virgin found there was a problem within 24 hours all was well. On my 350 meg when i do a speedtest i get around 370 download and 35 upload.
Wifi is different i have my virgin hub in my spare room upstairs, if you can hardwire it thats is the best make sure its raised as high as possible with no electrical equipment within 3ft all round if possible brick walls and electrics in other rooms will affect the wifi range.
i had 2 blackspots at my house and i installed some tplink m4 extenders now i have no blackspots and better range both inside and outside in the garden, i connect to this new network with my phone in the garden or my mancave where in the past i didnt get a signal now i get 3 to 4 bars.
Dont forget Vera wifi signal go from your hub in say a circle the the signal drops down so the higher you can get the hub within a clear space the better and if you can use ethernet cables to the hub if you cant do that or dont want wires everywhere use the wifi boosters but check them out some are far better than others hope this helps.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 21 09:18

Duncan wrote: 21st Apr 2022 at 8:53am Ive been back with virgin for about 3 weeks now and in that time had one day with alot slower speeds i logged into virgin and tested my connection and virgin found there was a problem within 24 hours all was well. On my 350 meg when i do a speedtest i get around 370 download and 35 upload.
Wifi is different i have my virgin hub in my spare room upstairs, if you can hardwire it thats is the best make sure its raised as high as possible with no electrical equipment within 3ft all round if possible brick walls and electrics in other rooms will affect the wifi range.
i had 2 blackspots at my house and i installed some tplink m4 extenders now i have no blackspots and better range both inside and outside in the garden, i connect to this new network with my phone in the garden or my mancave where in the past i didnt get a signal now i get 3 to 4 bars.
Dont forget Vera wifi signal go from your hub in say a circle the the signal drops down so the higher you can get the hub within a clear space the better and if you can use ethernet cables to the hub if you cant do that or dont want wires everywhere use the wifi boosters but check them out some are far better than others hope this helps.
I understand what you are saying but most devices are WIFI now we only have one laptop with an ethernet port everything else is WIFI our house is terrible for WIFI signals there is some form of breeze block on a central structural wall that runs top to bottom right across the house and it is a WIFI killer but we accept that, but the speed tests I always do from my phone in the same room as the hub but I can only dream of the speeds you are getting.

Literally 100 Meg would be enough for us as long as it was consistent and actually as stated..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Duncan
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 22 07:43

Well Vera i would always do speedtest from a device hard wired also with virgin you can buy a seperate router like a gaming router with external aerials
this will boost the connection of the wifi alot you connect it to the hub and in the virgin hub settings set your virgin hub to modem, so both modems will be piggybacked but it will run from the new hub. I get now from my hub on wifi to my tv downstairs about 95 meg when i had the gaming router connected i had 200 meg it made a big difference, when virgin put the prices up i went to sky broadband i sold my gaming router thinking i wont need it now, ah well. In my house there are only 2 of us and the virgin hub and the wifi boosters are ample and everything i use is hard wired so suits me, i Had the Aus rog rapture with 8 aerials got it in a deal from currys.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2022 22 08:07

I also have a wall between the lounge and the kitchen. Kids often come round to work from home. I've had to install 2 routers, one hard wired to the other in AP mode to cover both sides of the wall. I hope I can still use them if I change to FTTP.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)