BBC iplayer breaks streaming record

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2022 29 13:24

BBC iplayer breaks streaming record

In the first 3 months of of this year, the BBC iplayer streamed 1.83 billion streams. More than any other streaming service. That is some achievement and one hell of a lot of bandwidth. Not bad for a non-subscription ad free service.

Read the article on RXTVinfo https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/iplayer-1-83- ... hs-of-2022

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 29 14:53

Re: BBC iplayer breaks streaming record

That's an incredible amount of streams.

There's a lot of good content on "All 4" too.

I wonder how Britbox is doing? I am hoping that they will make it a free (advert financed) service at some point. It sticks in my claw that they are after us paying for regurgitated content that was financed through the licence fee.

I watch too much tv [Disappointment.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 29 14:57

Very rarely watch auntie beeb anymore in fact hardly watch any broadcast tv.

The sooner I can ditch the licence fee the better.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2022 30 00:07

Makes sense why my broadband lost half its speed in March.

Well, its goodbye to the fee soon as well......
The Torys have unveiled detail this week of their plans to scrap the BBC licence fee from 2028.
A White Paper was published yesterday that warned the £159 fee may be “unsustainable"
The fee received an extension until end 2027 but Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries warned that announcement “will be the last"
She tweeted in January: "The days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors are over. Its time now to discuss and debate new ways of funding, supporting and selling great British content"
The Goverment says there will be a “review of the licence fee funding model” eg if fewer households are required to hold a TV licence, and there is a desire to maintain the BBC ’s current funding level, then the price of the fee would need to increase, potentially significantly"
And as Kier Starmer continually says in PM's question time, "Its not economically viable!" it wont be.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Apr 2022 30 10:40

A `White Paper` went through Parliament in 1933 to demolish the town I live in as conditions were so bad and relocate the entire populace in Herefordshire, we are still here [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 10:00

Dexter wrote: Fri, 29th Apr 2022, 2:53pm That's an incredible amount of streams.

There's a lot of good content on "All 4" too.

I wonder how Britbox is doing? I am hoping that they will make it a free (advert financed) service at some point. It sticks in my claw that they are after us paying for regurgitated content that was financed through the licence fee.

I watch too much tv [Disappointment.png]
Just read that in the last 3 months of this year, ITV will replace ITV Hub with ITV X, a new streaming service. It will draw on content from Britbox and will a free, ad-funded service. A step in the right direction IMO [Thumb_up.png]