BBC Four, CBBC and BBC Radio 4 Extra to close

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 26 18:07

BBC Four, CBBC and BBC Radio 4 Extra to close

Also, Radio 4 Long wave (LW) will be turned off. Meaning they won't have to run 2 separate versions anymore. I'm guessing, but I don't think we will get the fishing forecast anymore as they used LW which signals can travel longer distances allowing ships to hear it out at sea. Then again, with modern satellite technology, I don't think it is actually used much these days.

Radio 5 using Medium wave (MW) will also be turned off.

The closures won't be immediate, they will occur before 2027 when the current charter and licensing agreement ends.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/multiple-bbc- ... s-to-close

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 26 18:14

Re: BBC Four, CBBC, Radio 4 Extra to close

At one time mw and lw were all there was really and whilst they are good for some purposes, they have been overtaken by, a s stated, satellite and digital media.

The likes of freeview I expect to disappear also
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 26 22:19

AndyCornwall wrote: 26th May 2022 at 6:14pm At one time mw and lw were all there was really and whilst they are good for some purposes, they have been overtaken by, a s stated, satellite and digital media.

The likes of freeview I expect to disappear also
I can see a time when satellite and cable TV "broadcast TV" is totally replaced by on-demand services. In our fast paced lives, people will want to choose when they watch TV, not having to fit their busy lives to a schedule of programmes dictated to by broadcasters.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 27 08:18

thecaretaker wrote: 26th May 2022 at 10:19pm I can see a time when satellite and cable TV "broadcast TV" is totally replaced by on-demand services. In our fast paced lives, people will want to choose when they watch TV, not having to fit their busy lives to a schedule of programmes dictated to by broadcasters.
I'll hang on to my ever-increasing dvd collection a while longer then..