Squirrelgate

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 28 18:39

Re: Squirrelgate

Had a teacher come find me one night and said some one is knocking on her outside fire exit door, so went to investigate and drew the curtain back and it was a pheasant pecking it's own reflection lol. [Big grin.png]

But talking about squirrels we actually had one in our garden for the very first time and we have lived here since 2005, it was quite a young grey squirrel feeding off the dropped bird seed from our metal pole feeder. [Waving.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jul 2022 29 07:29

Nail wrote: ↑28th Jul 2022 at 1:35pm I found a dead but perfectly preserved newt under a radiator in a previous school staff room. I had it on a shelf to be set in resin but a cleaner threw it away! [Loud.png]
This one was very much alive, we took it across the road to the local nature reserve and released it into the pond, its the only place we could think it would have come from.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Jul 2022 29 16:06

It is illegal/ an offence to release a Gray Squirrel back into the wild. (RED's ok)
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jul 2022 29 20:36

inspector wrote: ↑29th Jul 2022 at 4:06pm It is illegal/ an offence to release a Gray Squirrel back into the wild. (RED's ok)
Why release them, they're very tasty 😁
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Jul 2022 31 09:46

Stiggy wrote: ↑29th Jul 2022 at 8:36pm Why release them, they're very tasty 😁
There is that, on a program about extermination, one guy does all sorts of cooking with his `catch` but had to watch the little lead pellets.
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 01 09:06

Had quite a few over the years. Field voles in the boiler house along with hedgehogs and frogs. It was below ground with open metal stairs so they couldn't get out once they were in the entrance pit. Loose horses on the school field, birds in the D/T area, never did find out where they were getting in, but a regular occurrence catching them with a landing net and releasing them. Swarm of bees recently caused havoc. They were Black Honey Bees, very aggressive type. the bee keeper who came to collect them was stung several times. He had not come across this particular type of bee before. I had a dog stuck in an underground storm drain, fire brigade used is as a full underground rescue training exercise, took several hours to find it and rescue it.

The worse was when the school gerbils escaped, I spent the whole day dismantling the science rooms to recapture them all.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".