Would you strike?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 26 08:27

Re: Would you strike?

Dexter- if I read this right, we will get a pay increase as a £1925 regardless of where we are on the scale and also an extra day off from next year? I think the teachers were offered 5% so for some of us it will narrow the gap wit what could be a higher % than the teachers (still a wide gap though).
I like the bit about mileage costs. I don't use my car often for courses etc but the government needs to up the 45p a mile to be more in keeping with fuel costs as they are.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 26 09:47

twiglets wrote: Tue, 26th Jul 2022, 8:27am Dexter- if I read this right, we will get a pay increase as a £1925 regardless of where we are on the scale and also an extra day off from next year? I think the teachers were offered 5% so for some of us it will narrow the gap wit what could be a higher % than the teachers (still a wide gap though).
I like the bit about mileage costs. I don't use my car often for courses etc but the government needs to up the 45p a mile to be more in keeping with fuel costs as they are.
Yes, you've got it right. It does narrow the gap for most of us. It does mean a real terms decrease but it is a big shift in position by the employer's side. Another plus is that some of the cost of living pressures are caused by fuel and energy prices may be relatively short-lived whereas the pay increase is permanent. It will be interesting to see the unions reaction. They don't usually react quickly to give the impression that they have deliberated and done behind the scenes work but, given the rapidity of the inflation, they may quickly recommend its acceptance to help their members.

I said previously that I would be prepared to strike but given the offer (and its circumstances) I think I would prefer the union to keep their powder dry for next year's pay negotiations.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jul 2022 26 10:01

Just another article going into this news:

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/local-governm ... cil-staff/
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jul 2022 27 18:01

Just one more point to mention. They are academy chains who took staff over on NJC terms and conditions but have since brought in their own terms,conditions and regulations so the council increase may not go to all members of this site. Something to think about.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Aug 2022 04 09:07

This is interesting reading, most of it flies above my head but interesting nonetheless, we have recently been told that we are getting a 3.5% pay increase but it will be delivered at 1.75% on September 1st and again on June 1st neither will be backdated so effectively we're not really getting a 3.5% rise, we are getting 2 separate 1.75% rises, we are trying to argue this as unfair but got told that it's what the local authority are doing also and was agreed with the unions, I find it hard to believe the unions would be happy with this arrangement. Even with the reduced rent and no water bill to pay my partner and I live hand to mouth each month, I'm having to consider looking for a 2nd job, I took this job for the work/life balance it offered, a 2nd job will completely negate that, starting to think I should have stayed out on building sites.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 04 15:02

Stiggy, The staggered pay rise looks like something an academy may do with a Sept start point for part of it, so I assume you work in one. I don't think a LA would pay anyone in such a staggered manner. 3.5% may be what the business manager gets when £1,925 is applied to his current salary but for yourself it would have been higher. If you are in England (where the Local Government pay offer applies) your employer seems to be applying a twisted logic that suits the school's budget than matches what is going on with LA schools and LAs.

If you want to take it further, i would ask your employer for any communication from the LA or unions confirming the staggered 3.5% rise. (Have the TA's been offered similar?) If your employer does this it may find that its pay rates fall below similar roles elsewhere and they will have probllems retaining and recruiting staff.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Aug 2022 04 15:58

We have asked for evidence etc, I dont know about the £1,925 but the email we got definately said 3.5% paid in 2 halves, 1.75% in October for September's pay and then again in July for June's pay, yes I'm part of an academy 😢
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2022 05 15:25

I don't know if pay is the major factor, but I check the local school jobs regularly out of curiosity and it is usually completely dead at this time of year. However, this summer there are absolutely loads of support staff jobs going, not just in caretaking, there are a couple of schools where I wonder how they will even function in September if they cannot recruit, with no CT, no BM, no finance assistant, no receptionist, plus needing a bunch of TAs, cleaners etc.

One primary near me have been trying to find a caretaker since March and are still advertising. They have upped the money a little but I can see why there is little interest when one Primary trust (two schools) is looking for an apprentice for only a couple of thousand less.