93-year-old man tasered by police in care home dies

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2022 05 22:54

93-year-old man tasered by police in care home dies

A 93-year-old man from St. Leonards-on-Sea who was a wheel chair user with one leg and suffering from dementia was tasered, PAVA sprayed and battened by police in his care home has died.

Police got a call that a resident at the care home was brandishing a knife and threatening staff. He was in his own room sitting in his wheelchair when the 2 officers arrived.

Two officers from Sussex Police are now under criminal investigation for manslaughter.

Long term neighbours of the man said he was a kind gentle man and couldn't believe he would act that way. They also couldn't understand why the Police couldn't just talk to him and ask him to put the knife down or hand it over.

I'm surprised why the care home staff weren't trained to deal with difficult situations like this rather than calling the Police, especially if they are taking on dementia patients who can be very challenging.
https://www.carehome.co.uk/news/article ... 3-year-old
https://news.sky.com/story/police-pepp ... n-12665534

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2022 06 00:19

Re: 93-year-old man tasered by police in care home dies

Serious failings to be sure. Neither of the articles say what type of knife it was or how he was able to get hold of it. Goodness knows what training the police officers had or what they were thinking when they acted, hard to say without being there but sounds extremely heavy-handed against a one-legged 93 year old in a wheelchair.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 06 08:35

Shocking and I will take a guess they will both walk from court, brought to mind how long the police negotiated with Raoul Moat back in 2010 who was armed with a shotgun evidently it appears this poor man was more of a risk.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2022 06 09:19

Surely the pepper spray alone would have enabled the police to make safe the situation, they all wear body cams these days so the footage should show the errors or failings in their actions.

I’m not sticking up for the police but 93 is a good age, maybe the autopsy will show the true cause of death. Still a shocking outcome for the family though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2022 06 15:29

Keyolder wrote: 6th Aug 2022 at 9:19am Surely the pepper spray alone would have enabled the police to make safe the situation, they all wear body cams these days so the footage should show the errors or failings in their actions.

I’m not sticking up for the police but 93 is a good age, maybe the autopsy will show the true cause of death. Still a shocking outcome for the family though.
Let’s hope the body cam footage hasn't been 'lost' as seems to be happening in a lot of cases these days...
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Aug 2022 08 23:34

This comes on top of a whole load of other cases that have brought the reputation of the police to an all-time low. Trust is going to take a lot of rebuilding. I still believe that most police officers are decent people doing a difficult job. But there appears to be a lot more than the odd bad apple.