What the hell is happening to our country?

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 09:41

Re: What the hell is happening to our country?

On top of all the cost of living problems people are facing the mayor of London is expanding the ULEZ - charging older cars £12.50 per day despite the consultation showing the vast majority don't want it.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 10:01

Here's an idea.....

Stop HS2.

I know millions have been wasted already but actually stop now and use the rest for something actually worthwhile....
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 10:08

Nail wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 10:01am Here's an idea.....

Stop HS2.

I know millions have been wasted already but actually stop now and use the rest for something actually worthwhile....
It'll never be stopped it was a vanity project from the beginning which nobody wanted besides those who stand to make yet more money through government contracts. It will go down in this country's history as the biggest waste of public money ever.

To put into context the predicted times for HS2 from Manchester to London would take 20 minutes off the current journey time, its bonkers!
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 10:22

a long time ago when i had money working as a plasterer before i detached my shoulder and was knocked for a 5 figured sum and then lost my house. I went to the council with my 3 children under 10 one under 1 and asked about housing. I was told there's no housing plenty of people around here live in there cars. could not believe what i was hearing only time in 30 years of being with my wife I've heard her swear at someone decided it was time to leave the meeting.
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 10:47

Vera wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 10:08am It'll never be stopped it was a vanity project from the beginning which nobody wanted besides those who stand to make yet more money through government contracts. It will go down in this country's history as the biggest waste of public money ever.

To put into context the predicted times for HS2 from Manchester to London would take 20 minutes off the current journey time, its bonkers!
Oh, I know it won't. No government has the gumption to stop it.

I also know it's a total waste of time to make it, especially in the aftermath of covid which gave the boom of video conferencing.
seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 13:59

But if they evict these people(tenants) then there is no social housing left the council will have to put the evictees somewhere:oh yes I have an empty property says landlord to council it will cost £XXX per month. WIn win for landlord. Our social housing lead in outr town even created an insurance scheme to help out landlords whos property is covered if the property is damaged by a council tenant. Guess whos company supplies the properties......
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 16:19

Dexter wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 9:37am We now see a clamour for people to work many jobs (eg NHS and agriculture) but as a country we have created barriers for what we need. I remember the riots in Boston, Lincs, many years ago, due to locals being fired up by the Eastern Europeans taking their agricultural jobs. There were plenty of jobs but locals did not want to work for minimum wage. They simply blamed immigrant workers for doing what was needed but what they did not want to do themselves, fuelled by rhetoric from the Right.
I live in Norfolk in a large farming area, I have seen people working in the fields on a freezing cold foggy February day and trust me they weren`t British! It`s only the "immigrants" who would do it!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 17:42

Nigel wrote: 1st Dec 2022 at 4:19pm I live in Norfolk in a large farming area, I have seen people working in the fields on a freezing cold foggy February day and trust me they weren`t British! It`s only the "immigrants" who would do it!
That's true, I did it myself about 20 years ago, the money was not exactly fantastic but I quite enjoyed it being out in the fresh air. There were some other English people, however many didn't even bother to come back on the second day. Too much like hard work I guess.

There is a distinct lack of work ethic amongst some people, the number of 'economically inactive' working age people in this country is quite something. Some of the places with the highest percentage also have some of the largest number of local job vacancies.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 01 18:26

I do not do politics or church and will only say one thing, they may as well take the "Great" out of "Great Britain" as we are not anymore. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_snowball]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2022 01 18:33

When I was made redundant I was also (no fault) evicted from the school house.

There was no way I could afford the rent on private housing, and council houses are like chicken teeth.

I was so so lucky to get a council house, and it took a lot of phone calls. Very stressful time.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.