security

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

keeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 07:02

security

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has access to a locking up/security template I could use for a new assistant who has started. He is very concientious and just needs some sort of checklist or the like while he gets used to the site. He's been given a plan of the site etc.
When the going gets tough the tough get going!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:10

Re: security

Its really just Doors, windows, blinds, plugs/ sockets and lights.

The important thing is to get he/she to have a fixed route and routine around the school do the same thing again and again then anything missed will be picked up next time.
Do NOT deviate even for the "can you just" until they are well and truly sure of what they are doing.

Tick lists are limited in their usefulness for dynamic tasks such as locking up. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:54

I would ensure if you have loads of keys, he/she is going to know what key fits what lock, when i started in caretaking there was no hand over i was just given a massive ring of keys and it took me hours to lock up that first night. So, i got coloured insulation tape and marked a key and a door lock so a yellow key fitted the yellow marked lock and also used combinations like black/white, blue/red and so on. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 08:59

This issue is very site specific, only you guys will no how well your keys are coded, and what doors you are required to lock of an evening

as a general rule of thumb

Lock up for me involves

External doors,
Swimming pool block
Boiler House and Elect Dst room
ALL WINDOWS
and specific internal doors (Server room, kitchen, Offices and HT office)
I dont turn Comps off (just screens) as we have updates 9/10 times running through the night
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 10:35

EBJ wrote: 2nd Dec 2022 at 8:54am I would ensure if you have loads of keys, he/she is going to know what key fits what lock, when i started in caretaking there was no hand over i was just given a massive ring of keys and it took me hours to lock up that first night. So, i got coloured insulation tape and marked a key and a door lock so a yellow key fitted the yellow marked lock and also used combinations like black/white, blue/red and so on.
Similar here. When I started, big bunch of keys and an ‘away you go’, took me best part of about one and half hours to lock up. Next day, school broken down into 4 sections, armed with a pack of little round coloured stickers and 4 coloured plastic key tags, unlocking consisted of sticker placed on the top corner of every door that required unlocking with key put on the loop with the corresponding coloured tag. Locking up, ‘red bunch’ keys put into order of use, and so on for blue/green/yellow bunch. Opening/closing now down to just under 30 minutes - same route round school each time
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 10:54

Dunroamin wrote: 2nd Dec 2022 at 10:35am Similar here. When I started, big bunch of keys and an ‘away you go’, took me best part of about one and half hours to lock up. Next day, school broken down into 4 sections, armed with a pack of little round coloured stickers and 4 coloured plastic key tags, unlocking consisted of sticker placed on the top corner of every door that required unlocking with key put on the loop with the corresponding coloured tag. Locking up, ‘red bunch’ keys put into order of use, and so on for blue/green/yellow bunch. Opening/closing now down to just under 30 minutes - same route round school each time
Sounds like a real pain. I'm on one key for 90 - 95% of rooms. It's been a bit of a process moving the rooms to the same system but so worth it.
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 12:06

I came from retail with no real experience and walked around twice with senior site manager who had been working alone for months but was going on holiday and they desperately needed someone.
I was employed elsewhere so couldn't do the two full days of training we would have had together, so we did about 6 hours, but I pulled a lot of strings to cover his week off at really, really short notice.
I'd left a window open one night and a external cupboard unlocked another night. For a three building site, with 700+ students and about 40 new keys in my pocket I thought I did OK. He didn't and told me if it happened again I'd get sacked. I spoke to the business manager who told me he was out of line and I'd been a great help. Me and the senior had a rough couple of months but we get one really well now, I stood my ground so in short I don't have a checklist but I do have advice.

The job can be pretty overwhelming so be patient and definitely walk the grounds together as often as you can and until it's comfortable. Let them do the work just supervise, it'll give you time to know each other too.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 15:00

I remember many years back a teacher was persuaded to become a keyholder, we needed one more. I arranged to show her the routine over a few evenings of locking up, why she asked, all I need is the alarm code and front door key? What about closing all the windows locking the external doors plus the two other on-site school buildings. Doesn’t the alarm do all that she questioned? She soon un-volunteered herself on the first walkaround after hearing about call outs and responsibility…

Definitely a routine is required plus a dedicated “lockup only” set of keys to avoid key overload.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 02 15:40

Whenever i had a new assistant i took it upon myself to go back in my own time to do the lock up with them for a full week. Once i was happy that they were able to lock up without mistakes i let them get on with it but told them to sort out their own routine as they might find a different way that suited them better.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 10:09

Same here as some of you guys have stated.

First day was given a bunch of keys and a "there you go".

Since then I have gone ultra organised. There is a opening up procedure on display in my office, my keys are on four separate key rings the first set get me to the rest of the keys so I only have to take the bare minimum home, the second all internal doors which are in order of use and colour coded, the third are the exterior keys which I only open when it is light enough to do so and the fourth are for a stand alone canteen/sporthall which I open first in readiness for the morning clean.

The most usefull tip I can give is have a set route to follow. You are less likely to miss that one door.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off