Cleaners

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

mark1987
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 10:32

Cleaners

Morning all, so here at our school we employ one cleaner and I cover the other half. Yesterday the cleaner resigned so the school have asked me to work out if I can do it on OT as apparently I can't take on more permanent hours, or get a outside firm in. Just wondering what works best for your schools and any recommendations on cleaning company's based in Essex.
Go for it DONT hold back
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 22 12:48

Re: Cleaners

Depends on the size of your school & how much more of your waking hours you want to commit. I was asked to do the same thing when we had no cleaners. I was working till 9.30 -10.00 each night. Luckily, in those days, we had the budget to employ a couple of 10 hr p/w cleaners. After a couple of months of it, I was on my knees. It was all sleep & work. Is the extra money worth it to you? It was to me at the time.
Sausage
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 30 08:36

It is up to you mate and how much you need the money, if you get by on the money you are on now, I would say you don't want the extra work. It's not your fault or problem they won't pay for cleaners. They asked us here did we want to take on cleaners' duties and said the same about not being able to afford them, we all said no and after complaints from teachers they started two cleaners a few months back.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 30 09:05

Why could they not employ another cleaner?
Surely you on overtime is more money than employing a cleaner even if they had to pay a bit more to get the right person??

I don't get why they would want to overload you like that, otherwise they could risk losing you too. [hah.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 30 09:26

Doesn't make much sense. You should be being paid more than a cleaner as it is so O/T will cost them more. An outside contractor can sometimes cost more too....
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 30 09:58

OXSET wrote: 30th Nov 2022 at 9:26am Doesn't make much sense. You should be being paid more than a cleaner as it is so O/T will cost them more. An outside contractor can sometimes cost more too....
Exactly, unless they're trying to get away with undercutting the rate of overtime.

Covering as an emergency is one thing, but to commit to that on an ongoing basis is another.

All depends on personal circumstances. If you're happy and willing to do it for the extra, then go for it, but you'll feel the struggle in a week or so.

Your overtime rate should be more than a cleaner would be getting paid, so that doesn't make sense.

We have internal cleaners so can't help you on recommendations I'm afraid.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 14:16

Every person is different and it depends on your circumstances. Personally I am at the time of life that my 36 hours a week suits me. I knew I would have a cleaning responsibility when I took the role on 4 years ago but slowly those duties have been given to others and as we now employ contractors I have next to nothing cleaning wise.

Suits me and I live within my means. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_tongue]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 14:37

This scenario has alway ended in upset for me if im honest. I had the exact same issue at my last school.

It will start well and you will be praised for bendgin over bacwards to accmodate, but you will eventually 'burn the candle at both ends' so to speak. There will come a day where you are so rushed you cannot do anymore or you try to cut corners and fit more in through the day when classrooms become empty. This in turn will lead onto you getting annoyed with the work itsefl whilst also preventing you from doing your other day to day jobs. Eventually someone (usually the HT or a minion) will question the standards which will P*** you off even more and probably question the hours its taking. The CO's will gradually request above and beyond from you because they are over familiar and feel they can take advantage.

My advice is find a company to help out. Stick to your remit and outsource the rest.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]