My eventful first week

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Caretak3r
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 09:03

Re: My eventful first week

As countless people have said on here Legionella training is a must. But, depending how frugal your boss is there are companys who can and come & do it for you once a month.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 09:46

We had a company come in and did all our water tests and including cleaning our main water supply tanks, a full report was then submitted with any untoward and action needed in red bold ink, it was then for the BM to approve them to attend the school and rectify the problem, having an outside company do it meant i and the school had an up to date record of every visit and remedial work carried out. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_santaclaus]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 05 09:55

By the sounds of it the previous Site Manager did very little. As stated get yourself on Legionella course and by the sounds of it you will probably need a Legionella Risk Assessment.
Also cover yourself by going through the Asbestos register, getting a fire risk assessment done if not already and familiarise yourself with the evacuation policy.

and document everything you check.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 06 07:47

sounds like a pretty standard week tbf [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_laugh] [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_laugh]

in all seriousness though check with your legionairres contractor about condeming the sinks. Yes 25 is high and does need attention- i aint disputing that, but in reality theres a bit of wiggle room and having them reinstated might just turn them from urgent tasks to medium ones.

Rememeber that when it comes to legionella there are a number of factors that affect the risk.... Legionairres is pretty much only spread through water vapoours and droplets like aerosols so running taps in sinks are considered low risk- had it been a shower then thats another story. also consider who uses the sinks, children are considered low risk and the elderly and smokers are considered high risk
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 13:59

Thanks for all replies, had a hell of a week again sorting the drains out, finally found the cause, old covered manhole been cemented over, we found grinding discs, 4x2 pieces of wood and all sorts of rubble down there, contractors saying they didn't know the manhole was there. Another manhole in corridor was damaged and instead of fixing/replacing it they've filled it with silicone even in the holes used for lifting it. Feel a bit like I'm getting fobbed off sometimes.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 09 14:24

Monkey wrote: 9th Dec 2022 at 1:59pm Thanks for all replies, had a hell of a week again sorting the drains out, finally found the cause, old covered manhole been cemented over, we found grinding discs, 4x2 pieces of wood and all sorts of rubble down there, contractors saying they didn't know the manhole was there. Another manhole in corridor was damaged and instead of fixing/replacing it they've filled it with silicone even in the holes used for lifting it. Feel a bit like I'm getting fobbed off sometimes.
Welcome to the happy world of caretaking!!
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 10 14:19

Eddy wrote: 9th Dec 2022 at 2:24pm Welcome to the happy world of caretaking!!
😂 A baptism of fire🔥
Seems like I've come in and jinxed everything to go wrong. They're quite impressed how I've handled things so far anyway.