Sky TV freebie!

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 16 12:09

Sky TV freebie!

Unbelievable!

I had a text recently, allegedly from Sky, I say allegedly as it was offering me a free upgrade to Sky Q, no charge! SKY? Giving stuff away! Go on, it’s a scam surely?

I looked up the number online and many comments where, yes, it’s a scam number. But then found. Sky forum where the consensus was that it was a genuine offer, but, the Q box was the basic model, “only” 3 channel’s recordable at a time, and 500 Mb storage. If you wanted the top of the line 6 channels recording, and 1Tb storage, you had to pay £££.

In the end, I found a contact number and rang it just to really confirm it was a scam as Sky don’t give stuff away.

Well, it’s true, I’ve booked an engineer visit to install and set up a new Sky Q 1Tb box just in time for the New Year, totally free of charge! Just hope my ancient Sky + box lasts until then, it keeps jamming and needing resetting 2-3 times a month.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2022 16 13:21

Re: Sky TV freebie!

Yes, I read about Sly's giveaways here: https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/sky-freebies- ... -customers

It might be a case of clearing old stock, Sly want to move towards an internet only service as it will be much cheaper for them. You can already by Sly Stream and Sly Glass.

Even the BBC DG has said he wants to do away with all the land based transmitters and go online only for all Freeview channels. I can see Freesat going the same way if Sly leave Astra and SES.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2022 16 17:49

Dragonrider wrote: 16th Dec 2022 at 12:09pm Just hope my ancient Sky + box lasts until then, it keeps jamming and needing resetting 2-3 times a month.
My Sky+ receiver does that? [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_undecided]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2023 28 21:20

An update on my "Free" upgrade to a Sky Q box and no increase in the monthly payment, turns out the Sky agent I spoke to was basically lying.

Even though I asked him to confirm that my monthly costs would not increase three times, and each time he assured me it would not increase, he lied.
I got the paperwork through and there it was in black and white, after four months, my price would increase by £5 per month, so I rang to cancel and was assured that it had been cancelled but that the free upgrade would go ahead as planned.
Which it did, engineer came, fitted a new dish, rejigged the wiring in my front room and installed and set up my new Sky Q box.

A month later I saw that my monthly price had increased because the Sky Ultimate package was still included so more lies from another Sky agent.

Rang again and complained, but got nowhere, so used Twitter to publically call Sky out, got a response this time, and after being redirected to a Sky text number, and 50 texts later, finally got the unwanted, unused Ultimate TV Package removed and the price confirmed as before with no increase.
As I said, I asked the agent that my price would not increase, and was told 3 times it would not, if it would have, I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway.

Finally got it sorted, and then the sky text tech asked me if I'd like to switch to Sky Mobile as it comes with free calls and texts. No mention of costs mind, turns out it would be nearly 3 times what I currently pay. But I had already decided that I would not trust Sky anymore and would not get anything else from them and told the agent that!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2023 28 22:17

Absolutely hate it when companies do this [Mad.png] a few years back had a similar issue but with EE when I upgraded… guy on the phone offered me everything under the sun, massive free data, top of the line phone etc etc..
As you, first bill comes in double what I was paying previously. Called, complained, everything, and was basically told this offer doesn’t exist and no way an agent would been able to offer such services.
I asked for the email address of EE head office which was given no questions asked. I emailed them every day for about month under FOI (freedom of information) asking for a transcript of my original call when upgrading as they say calls are monitored.
Finally received a audio DVD in the post some weeks later with a letter saying they would be in contact soon. I listen to the dvd…. Everything, and I mean everything the guy offered me was clear to hear !!! Someone from EE called me a few days later, almost squirming saying how sorry they were and that they would honour the deal even tho it didn’t exist and take a extra £5 off as a gesture of good will. So got top of the line iPhone with everything for 2 years for next to nothing… win win [Success.png]
It really pays to call these companies out