whiplash how long until it shows

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 31 17:56

whiplash how long until it shows

Long story short, my son in law has had a car pull out on him, scrapping the near side door through to the rear wheel arch- and he span 3 times now a right off. Estimated speed before trying to swerve was circa 40mph. FORTUNATELY, the 1 year old in his car seat near side has not shown any effects- we did take him straight to A & E- lucky they have a good car seat with good head support.
Driver is okay, but that type of impact- will whiplash appear once he's calmed down?
He's now going to be out of pocket as the car was a 60 plate so not worth much.
As said, both appear to be fine.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 31 18:35

Re: whiplash how long until it shows

Glad every one is OK, as for whip lash that may come with any delayed shock so just keep an eye on the little one and let the insurance sort the rest out. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 03 08:11

Very all are OK.
whiplash can be much more severe the day after the accident, but usually will still be evident shortly after the adrenaline has worn off.

I literally could not lift my head off the pillow the morning after I had an accident, had to sort of roll out of bed but had no neck movement for around 5 days afterwards.
One word of advice, don't wear a neck brace unless directed to do so by the doctor, they provide false support to the neck muscles and prolong the recovery period.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 03 08:33

Fortunately they both appear to be fine. No requirement for a neck brace etc. On slowing down the dash cam footage you can clearly see the head rest and the light through it, thus it would appear the driver was not even looking at the road. My son in law is pursuing with the insurance company for injuries but unsure how that applies to the baby? he can't express his injuries other than crying a little more than usual- so possible slight injuries. As mentioned, pain would not appear straight away. Is there any claim for him or do we drag it out until he is 21 and see if there is any issues that aren't showing up (request a settlement now or hang on??).
As the footage has been forwarded to the insurance and the police, will the police consider a charge? this is a question for ex serving officers who might know.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 03 08:44

twiglets wrote: 3rd Apr 2023 at 8:33am Fortunately they both appear to be fine. No requirement for a neck brace etc. On slowing down the dash cam footage you can clearly see the head rest and the light through it, thus it would appear the driver was not even looking at the road. My son in law is pursuing with the insurance company for injuries but unsure how that applies to the baby? he can't express his injuries other than crying a little more than usual- so possible slight injuries. As mentioned, pain would not appear straight away. Is there any claim for him or do we drag it out until he is 21 and see if there is any issues that aren't showing up (request a settlement now or hang on??).
As the footage has been forwarded to the insurance and the police, will the police consider a charge? this is a question for ex serving officers who might know.
Personally in terms of the little one, then the doctors decision must be final because as you say they cannot express pain at that age.

I'm being careful with my words here as I personally think that there should be tangible medical evidence of injury caused by the accident not just someone saying they have a sore neck.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 03 09:50

As an ex cop leave it all to the insurance companies who are the professionals with years of experience in Road Traffic Collisions, the police will be
investigating the cause of this RTC so again leave it to them and just be guided by all concerned, as for the little one do keep a close eye on the little one and keep a diary on any unusual behaviour like the crying you mentioned dates and times, good luck. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)