Gate survey

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 09:50

Re: Gate survey

Got to say I’ve never heard of a gate survey
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 09:58

Gazza wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 9:17am without wanting to cause an argument, you presume way to much.

Firstly where does he state he requires a survey? i read this to mean 1 gate.

Secondly whose to say he is only a caretaker? If hes is a Site/premises/facility/estates Manager or maintenance manager then perhaps its fairly assumed by his bosses that he has the required knowledge and skill set to carry out what i would argue is a reletavely stright forward task.

This does not require an external contractor which comes with added costs- just some help and guidance from us (after all that is what this group is for right?)

but in order to help and guide him better we are simply asking for a bit more information.
Not looking to argue, not sure where you're getting that from, I'm merely trying to point out that if he's not sure, then he should get somebody in. But I'll answer your questions.

1. The post title.
2. Doesn't matter if he's a caretaker, site manager or king of Taiwan. He's asking us about the survey so clearly doesn't have the relevant knowledge. Nothing wrong with that, I don't either which is why we got somebody in.
3. If you don't know what you're doing, you need an external contractor.

I am trying to guide my caretaking friend by informing him that our job carries a lot of responsibilities which can come back to bite us so if ever in doubt, get a professional in.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 11:47

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 7:38am He needs a gate survey to ensure they're safe and doing the job they're supposed to do. For example, finger gaps around edges, gap between gate and ground, no deterioration around hinges etc. This is a job for a professional, not a caretaker who's been in the job for 6 weeks with no training, hence - get the pros in to survey your gates. Clear enough????
Thanks for the update, but there is nothing described there that I would consider calling a contractor in for unless they were electrically automated, but each to there own I guess.

I think perhaps the choice of wording “service” is what’s the issue here. Automated barrier and gates are subject to statutory routine service. Standard gates I would hazard are “inspected” for safety and or function use internally and would full under premises check that same time as boundary fencing and site security.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 12:42

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 9:43am I didn't do it bud, Gate company did it for us and all reports went to our facilities manager. We did need a few mods though, finger guards were attached and some ground removed from field so they could open properly.
and how often are you having this done?
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 13:59

Nail wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 12:42pm and how often are you having this done?
We had this done as a one off. It isn't a legal obligation to have them regularly inspected or serviced unless they're automatic, in which case they come under PUWER regs so if I'm not mistaken, that would be twice a year. We had it done after a H&S audit who suggested it. Reason being, in case of an accident we have taken sufficient steps to ensuring they are safe and we are protected. It only cost couple hundred pounds and a certificate from a professional gate installer that says our gates are safe is a lot better than a caretaker/site manager/premises manager with no training or expertise in the subject saying it. Covers our back but more importantly, it covers mine.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 15:15

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 1:59pm We had this done as a one off. It isn't a legal obligation to have them regularly inspected or serviced unless they're automatic, in which case they come under PUWER regs so if I'm not mistaken, that would be twice a year. We had it done after a H&S audit who suggested it. Reason being, in case of an accident we have taken sufficient steps to ensuring they are safe and we are protected. It only cost couple hundred pounds and a certificate from a professional gate installer that says our gates are safe is a lot better than a caretaker/site manager/premises manager with no training or expertise in the subject saying it. Covers our back but more importantly, it covers mine.
ok. So how do you know it's still safe?
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 15:39

Interestingly, we have just had a fence erected. There is a standard for the gap below. With all moving objects such as gates, there are guidelines (height of hinges etc etc). Have they had an issue with this gate with an injury or near miss? They recommend guards on internal doors and most fit one side only. Just recently found we need all the doors internally to be check if they are fire doors and that the gaps are correct for the strip to expand to- just another costly exercise (check the strip now mind, sorry, check the gap).
As said, powered gates have guidelines for the gaps etc.
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 16:25

Nail wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 3:15pm ok. So how do you know it's still safe?
Realistically I don't but I don't come up with the regulations. I just followed the instructions of my facilities manager who was following the guidance of the H&S consultants that we pay a small fortune to give us this information. I then passed that information onto you lovely people when I saw someone ask a question about a subject I have recently experienced. No one is saying you have to do as I say, just offering guidance as was mentioned earlier but as in anything in life, do as you will.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 17:16

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 4:25pm Realistically I don't but I don't come up with the regulations. I just followed the instructions of my facilities manager who was following the guidance of the H&S consultants that we pay a small fortune to give us this information. I then passed that information onto you lovely people when I saw someone ask a question about a subject I have recently experienced. No one is saying you have to do as I say, just offering guidance as was mentioned earlier but as in anything in life, do as you will.
I think all your posts have been spot on.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Apr 2023 18 17:54

This 'Gate' is now locked.