National alert

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2023 24 14:19

Re: National alert

Keyolder wrote: 24th Apr 2023 at 8:04am I suppose that is what a test is for, to find any problems.
My mobile also squawked around a minute early [Neutral.png]
That's the point of having a test run surely, to find out any issues before it really matters.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 24 14:44

My phone went off at 1459, my wife's phone received the message on the screen but no alarm and nothing happened on my son's phone. We're all on Virgin Mobile with new iPhones. Nothing happened on my work phone either, and that's a fairly new iPhone on EE!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 24 15:24

Dragonrider wrote: 24th Apr 2023 at 2:19pm That's the point of having a test run surely, to find out any issues before it really matters.
That would be just fine if they selected a bunch of people to test on first. clearly they didn't do that.
What's the harm you say?

Just for a second imagine, you are with an abusive partner and because of actual or threatened violence the police have given you a phone which you hide away tom use in the event of an attack. now the only advice given by the government is to switch it off, how vulnerable do you feel now?
add in the fact that if the abuser suspects that you have such a phone then what better way to find it when they know you will have to switch it off or worse still, decide that with the phone switched off now would be a good time to.... (you can guess the rest). [Neutral.png]

All this for a test?
The full test of the system should be the final step not just something to have a go to see what happens.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 24 17:04

Dragonrider wrote: 24th Apr 2023 at 2:19pm That's the point of having a test run surely, to find out any issues before it really matters.
I agree they should have carried out more localised controlled tests, and if successful then move on to the full Monty.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.