Holidays

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

stuzermain22
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 22 16:46

Re: Holidays

Maverick wrote: 22nd Mar 2023 at 3:14pm I am all for condensing my hours but a 12 hour shift for 3 days is a tad too far. [Shock.png]
I came from a job where I worked 5 on 4 off with 12 hour days and nights so my body is used to these type of shifts lol. I'd rather get it out the way and gain an extra 2 days without using my holiday allowance [Thumb_up.png] .
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Mar 2023 22 18:09

I could take 5 days in Term Time with management approval.
All the rest had to be during the holidays.

Now - anytime I want.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 23 08:26

I can have up to a week off in term time, but not much point as I am also married to a teacher who has the same holidays as me. Luckily we dont go abroad too often, so prices of flights etc does not really affect us. I prefer visiting parts of our country that I might not have seen previously, staying in our tourer. I have never had a holiday request turned down as I can give them my dates up to a year in advance. If they cant sort out contractors working around me with that much notice, then its not my problem! I dont know why some of you guys get moaned at for wanting to take holidays that you are perfectly entitled to. And I definitely would not put up with someone asking me to take a couple of days here and there! No way!
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2023 23 09:14

I always thought that a bit strange to take them only in the school holidays as said that is normally when you are given an unattainable list of things to complete and still fit in the school holiday period your own holiday leave. [hah.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
capri1600l
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 29 13:31

Hi folks, I’ve not been around for ages.
But this issue on holidays is at the forefront of a dilemma I have. Are you sitting comfortably lol.
When I started at this small primary school, it was 37 hours. The last caretaker milked it for all it was worth. Me I was bored to death. The school offered me the post (I work for FM though the council, subcontracted to the school) they were trying to save money, so I offered them a deal, reduced hours to 30, I get my holiday when I want, the 7 hours saved a week would fund FM to give cover while I was off, the BM and head agreed. This was only verbal agreement between FM and the school. It’s now on its way to an academy ( within this year ) so I will lose my deal, as I’d be employed by the academy. Which I don’t want, I’m now looking at going back to a previous school I worked at,( it’s had my previous issues removed [Thumb_up.png] ) and staying with FM and the council. But sadly also lose my holiday anytime. Me and my partner have a a timeshare we use which is not in school holidays. So I’m now just thinking of taking unpaid leave for these weeks ( buy back lost pensions) my FM supervisor has said I’m within my rights to take unpaid leave. And as I’m not being paid, they would cover my post while off.
I can see this as my only option
Jane B
🧚
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 03 07:00

School holidays only - it's not too bad as I am married to a teacher as well.
I normally only work 2 out of the 6 weeks so I get a nice break. [Big grin.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 03 07:20

outdoorman wrote: 3rd May 2023 at 7:00am School holidays only - it's not too bad as I am married to a teacher as well.
I normally only work 2 out of the 6 weeks so I get a nice break. [Big grin.png]
Like Outdoor man said I am also married to a teacher so it has never been a problem taking my holidays during non term time.

That is until now as she is taking early retirement.

I wonder if I could negotiate with the SLT. [Confused.png] Probably best to not to try holding my breath.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 03 07:55

I put a request in for a week off in term time- approved. Funny how they will struggle with this, but would cover sickness (if I had any). We also get the moaners who expect me in when they want to come in in the holidays- always offer them the keys and they decline.
I don't see a problem of schools offering say 5 days a year during term time and they forget we are not on the same salary as the CO's- rarely do you get a CT earning more than a NQT- seems about £5-8000 less. Same goes for TA's who also are on part time contracts(max 25 hours) and 44-46 weeks a year.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 03 08:04

I knew when I started that it would be a case of taking holidays in the holiday period only. Once I started I found that I couldn't take the first or last weeks of the summer off . This leaves a 3 week window as the LA operates a 5 week summer holiday as we have a 2 week Whit holiday. My wife has booked the 2024 summer hliday assuring me it starts during the 2nd week of the holiday. The problem is that it's her 2nd week but my 1st. We dont pay the balance until next Easter so I am kicking the can down the street for now in the hope that some minor miracle emerges. [Gobsmacked.png]
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 16 08:01

Dexter wrote: 3rd May 2023 at 8:04am I knew when I started that it would be a case of taking holidays in the holiday period only. Once I started I found that I couldn't take the first or last weeks of the summer off . This leaves a 3 week window as the LA operates a 5 week summer holiday as we have a 2 week Whit holiday. My wife has booked the 2024 summer hliday assuring me it starts during the 2nd week of the holiday. The problem is that it's her 2nd week but my 1st. We dont pay the balance until next Easter so I am kicking the can down the street for now in the hope that some minor miracle emerges. [Gobsmacked.png]
Is it actually in your contract that you cant take the first and second week?
If not give them notice now.
If the reason is just to allow teachers to come in for the 1st week I have found and I will be telling them very shortly our school wont be open this year as we have booked a holiday for the 1st week.

You might have to suggest that you will open up for the last two weeks of the school holidays