Food waste segregation!

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 22 10:52

Food waste segregation!

Hi,

Has anyone else heard of this coming down the line?

https://www.freeths.co.uk/2023/04/17/ma ... 0digestion.

I've had it mentioned by a bin company so did some searching. Obviously the bin co are pushing to upsell different bin collections.
I hadn't heard of it previously and although Wales have it happening in October of this year, nothing on that article for England.

I'm hoping(!) that playground bins don't need to be segregated and I can have it for the main kitchen.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
May 2023 22 11:34

Re: Food waste segregation!

We already have our waste company refusing to empty some recycling bins as it has food waste from playground bins in it, so it goes as landfill.
The chance of pupils putting food waste in separate bins is zero, if it can`t go as landfill do they think we are going to go through every playground bin and separate out food waste [Angry.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 22 11:38

What a nightmare that would be! Kitchen waste would be easy enough but there's no way I'm going through all the playground bins after lunch. Don't see how they can enforce it unless the bin men are opening up all the black bags and checking.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 22 13:21

Another well intentioned but unworkable idea
Elephantpaul63
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 22 14:49

We had a problem over a year ago when they came to empty the bins ( 4 general waste ) we was over weight by a quarter of a ton, after checking with county and their office all were emptied but a review started of what was going in. We pinned it down to the food waste from the kitchen and the waste food from lunch times that the kids don't eat we averaged two a day. So we had talks and a food waste bin ( slightly bigger than a wheelie bin ) was ordered resulting in two general waste bins sent back and a saving and the problem solved. The draw back is pack lunch kids have to take their stuff home ( someone has to keep a eye on them ) and only food goes in the bin, small food waste boxes for the staff room ,cooking room ,and two slightly bigger ones for the waste fruit in the playground. I empty and wash them out weekly, the normal playground bins yes food gets put in and stays in when I empty them as I'm not routing around taking it out.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 22 14:51

Our waste company provide a bin for "non" meat preparation food, such as peel etc. The waste from lunch and outside bins goes in general. I have questioned the amount as we also keep being told about weight limits for the 1000l bins. I'm sure this will come in at some point- Veolia, if still our contractor, will let us know and obviously expect us to separate and charge us more for it [Scared.png]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
May 2023 22 14:52

twiglets wrote: 22nd May 2023 at 2:51pm Veolia, if still our contractor, will let us know and obviously expect us to separate and charge us more for it [Scared.png]
[Thumb_up.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch