It never pays to look back

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2023 09 17:25

It never pays to look back

When working at my previous school, we had a pond at the end of our playing fields. The pond was home to various bird life, some rare and was full of fish. However, when I was handed the school from the builders, the county told me that the pond needed clearing every year. It had reeds and was told there needs to be 50% reeds and 50% water to enable both types of wildlife to survive.

To many reeds and the water wouldn't get enough oxygen for the fish to survive and would stagnate. Clear too many reeds and the bird life wouldn't be able to hide.

It wasn't always easy getting the county to clear the reeds, I often had to nag them, but during the 16 years I was there, the pond always thrived.

Alas, I just spotted it on Google Earth and it has been allowed to get completely overgrown with reeds. So I can only assume all the fish must be dead. Such a shame.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 170719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2023 09 17:51

Re: It never pays to look back

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)