Hosepipe ban Kent & Sussex

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2023 27 08:49

Hosepipe ban Kent & Sussex

Well, all our reservoirs are 100% full of water and Southern Water have imposed a hosepipe ban covering most of Kent & Sussex.

Southern Water says we are using too much water and their treatment plants can't cope. Ofwat have now got involved as well as local MPs. With new homes being built in the south as well as this hot spell, the real reason seems to be a lack of investment in the treatment infrastructure.

The good news is for some strange reason, my home town isn't included in the hosepipe ban - go figure!

Screenshot 2023-06-27 042931.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 27 10:04

Re: Hosepipe ban Kent & Sussex

It's simply a smoke screen for them to pump more raw sewage into the rivers and the sea. First drop of rain last week they dumped loads. From an insider- its cheaper to pay the fine than treat the sewage. [Angry.png] [Angry.png] Any employee should hold their heads in shame as they are complicit with this going on- but like most people, they have mortgages or rent so can't whistle blow.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 27 16:02

What made me laugh is their CEO blaming people working from home.
Firstly why is that a problem now when it wasn't during the height of the pandemic? Secondly how would working from home use up that much more water...people will use less water washing work clothes or even bathing. Thirdly, that water being used by people working from home means there's less water being used in the workplace.

I will probably still be filling my pool in a couple of weeks time. If there was actually a drought, I might think twice. But it's not like we can go swimming in the sea, after they pumped so much **** into it for no reason other than incompetence...seems to be a running theme with southern water.
I simply cannot understand why water companies are privately owned.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 07:18

twiglets wrote: 27th Jun 2023 at 10:04am It's simply a smoke screen for them to pump more raw sewage into the rivers and the sea. First drop of rain last week they dumped loads. From an insider- its cheaper to pay the fine than treat the sewage. [Angry.png] [Angry.png] Any employee should hold their heads in shame as they are complicit with this going on- but like most people, they have mortgages or rent so can't whistle blow.
It seems upcoming legislation may force water companies to reign in the practice of dumping sewage in waterways but in order to do that the ‘customers’ will have their bills increased by around 40%. It will be interesting to see if that money goes into infrastructure or dividends for shareholders
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 07:36

greenjack wrote: 28th Jun 2023 at 7:18am It seems upcoming legislation may force water companies to reign in the practice of dumping sewage in waterways but in order to do that the ‘customers’ will have their bills increased by around 40%. It will be interesting to see if that money goes into infrastructure or dividends for shareholders
Interesting indeed, but i'm not holding my breath holding out for new infrastructure.

Everyone knows the correct way to do this is to nationalise.

There is no way that basic utilities (water waste gas electricity and rail transport) without any possibility of competition should be in the hands of a private profit making company.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]