Anyone got any furniture to give away?

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 27 15:37

Anyone got any furniture to give away?

We touched upon this subject a few weeks ago.
Is there anyone out there, in the lucky position to be restocking their furniture this summer?

Our furniture is in such poor condition, it's embarrassing when we have a parents evening.
The teachers have to distract the parents from the table tops, which have only got about 80% of the Formica left.
The legs on the tables & chairs aren't straight and I worry about straightening them for the umpteenth time, incase they snap off.
The chair legs all need new feet(ferrules) 'cos they're scratching the parquet floor in the hall or ruining the carpets. I currently have enough feet on order to repair 200 chairs.

I know we're not the only school in this position, so maybe if some of the schools who are getting lots of new furniture this summer can leave a post of what they have available for other schools to collect. It will also save the schools from the cost of disposal.

We are willing to travel long distances if there is a chance to fill the minibus with serviceable furniture.

It could be like our very own Freecycle/Gumtree, where we can post wanted ads, free stuff to collect or even sell valuable equipment.
I hope this is something we can do as a community to help each other out.
PRINGLES - 'once you pop, you can't stop'

Why do them come with re-sealable lids?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 27 15:41

Re: Anyone got any furniture to give away?

What a great idea. [Like.png]

We are not changing any furniture but if CT is listening could we have a topic heading for swaps or free to a good home?
It could cover literally everything tools furniture ceiling tiles ...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 27 16:14

Primary or secondary?

There's possibly a size difference.
DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 07:58

Nail wrote: 27th Jun 2023 at 4:14pm Primary or secondary?

There's possibly a size difference.
We are looking for secondary school furniture,

But I think if a trading facility is added to the forum, each post would state the age range for the furniture.

DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 08:05

Vera wrote: 27th Jun 2023 at 3:41pm What a great idea. [Like.png]

We are not changing any furniture but if CT is listening could we have a topic heading for swaps or free to a good home?
It could cover literally everything tools furniture ceiling tiles ...
Absolutely,

It could also provide opportunity to meet other caretakers (although that may sound like a dating website)

Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 08:12

DieselPunk wrote: 27th Jun 2023 at 3:37pm We touched upon this subject a few weeks ago.
Is there anyone out there, in the lucky position to be restocking their furniture this summer?

Our furniture is in such poor condition, it's embarrassing when we have a parents evening.
The teachers have to distract the parents from the table tops, which have only got about 80% of the Formica left.
The legs on the tables & chairs aren't straight and I worry about straightening them for the umpteenth time, incase they snap off.
The chair legs all need new feet(ferrules) 'cos they're scratching the parquet floor in the hall or ruining the carpets. I currently have enough feet on order to repair 200 chairs.

I know we're not the only school in this position, so maybe if some of the schools who are getting lots of new furniture this summer can leave a post of what they have available for other schools to collect. It will also save the schools from the cost of disposal.

We are willing to travel long distances if there is a chance to fill the minibus with serviceable furniture.

It could be like our very own Freecycle/Gumtree, where we can post wanted ads, free stuff to collect or even sell valuable equipment.
I hope this is something we can do as a community to help each other out.
I had this email sent through to me yesterday (see below) so time is of the essence here but you could try this as an option- Private school in Surrey who has links with a number of LA schools in our area sent this......

Dear ESLP members,
I hope you have all been having a good term and are looking forward to the approach of Summer (not long now!).
Just two quick things from me for the moment:

1. Thanks to everyone who's already done the impact form (and sent photos in some cases). It's hugely appreciated and lets us really see the impact when we can't be there in person. https://forms.office.com/e/K5vVJFBGPp

2. Chairs and desks

We are about to have some more classes refurbished and will have approximately 20-30 chairs (Y3+4 classes at the moment), which will be looking for a new home from the end of next week.

We will also have approx 30 classic flappy-lid wooden desks available as well.
Do please let me know if you would like any and if you have any way to transport them!
Sadly we need to get them clear of the site by the end of next week if at all possible, but I can put them aside if someone can come to collect.
Do let me know if you're interested and we can work out a plan.

All the best,

lex.lang@caterhamschool.co.uk | Website: www.caterhamprep.co.uk Switchboard: +44 (0)1883 342097 ext. 431
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 08:17

DieselPunk wrote: 28th Jun 2023 at 7:58am We are looking for secondary school furniture,

But I think if a trading facility is added to the forum, each post would state the age range for the furniture.
Yep, but I was meaning for you specifically. Wouldn't have been quite right if you had been offered chairs from Year 1.
DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 09:28

Thanks Nail

I have to really check eBay ads thouroughly,
I nearly bought some furniture for a bargain price, turned out to be dolls house furniture.

DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 28 09:30

Thanks Gazza

Too small for our school, but may be of interest somebody else