Win £12,500

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2023 22 13:03

Win £12,500

This kind of TV advert scam should be made illegal. It's not fair especially at a time when people are struggling to pay their household bills.

Within a few seconds of looking at this word search, it is obvious the 2 hidden words are DOWNTON ABBEY and DAFFODIL

It seems that the competition is designed to catch the less bright out by thinking all they have to do is ring the number shown on screen. Hoping they don't spot that to enter the competition, the 2 words requires 2 phone calls. They will transfer you for your second call. The first call cost you £3.60 and it costs a total of £10.80 for both calls plus your own network charges.

If you get the words DOWNTON ABBEY and DAFFODIL (and who wouldn't) doesn't mean that you win. It doesn't say if you then go through a lucky dip process or if you only win a percentage of the £12,500. It depends on how many other idiots enter the competition. And don't forget, it is actually 2 competitions not one.

Who in their right mind would enter a competition costing £10.80.

Moan over [Mad.png]

tvad.webp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 23 07:25

Re: Win £12,500

thecaretaker wrote: 22nd Jul 2023 at 1:03pm This kind of TV advert scam should be made illegal. It's not fair especially at a time when people are struggling to pay their household bills.
I totally agree but I have a friend whose wife enters every competition going, and she wins quite a lot of stuff. However I think she only enters the free competitions.
The best win to date was a complete kitchen refit, all cabinets hob/oven fridge/freezer washing machine and even a microwave plus £100 food voucher. She also reviews stuff online and gets quite a few freebies or vouchers.
I steer clear of competitions, maybe that's why I never win anything? [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 24 20:20

I agree.
I don’t think the individuals are idiots just a bit gullible .
Looks like they are targeting the vulnerable who are willing to take a chance .

My wife enters competitions on a regular basis ( she has never paid a penny to enter )

In the last few years she has won.

A Mediterranean cruise.
A trip to New Orleans.
A week in Crete .
A week in Sicily.
Weekends in Bath, the Cotswolds, and Liverpool.
Plus many smaller items for our grandson.

So as well as marrying me she is truly a lucky lady.
wake me up before you gogo.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 25 07:15

The one's that get me are ITV competitions. They run them for weeks over multiple programmes. They must receive millions of calls thus millions of £2 entries, to hand out one prize. Seems to only be the news that doesn't have a competition?

" main headlines today- thousands are dying from starvation/thousands lose their homes to wild fires. In other news, you can win an exotic holiday to ........" [Angry.png] [Angry.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 25 11:08

welshhunk wrote: 24th Jul 2023 at 8:20pm My wife enters competitions on a regular basis ( she has never paid a penny to enter )

In the last few years she has won.

A Mediterranean cruise.
A trip to New Orleans.
A week in Crete .
A week in Sicily.
Weekends in Bath, the Cotswolds, and Liverpool.
Plus many smaller items for our grandson.

So as well as marrying me she is truly a lucky lady.
Wow, that is impressive [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 25 12:16

Having an email address ending in aol.com instead of .co.uk i have loads of spam from the USA mostly saying as a certain shop customer i have one this or that, been to the USA but never shopped in these shops they mention, and occasionally still get the old scam "I am the son of the late blah, blah, blah and i have 5 million dollars i wish to" well you know the rest. And yes there are to many of the scams on our TV which the local village idiot could win if he entered, these adverts every one involved in the making of it to to taking in the money from it are on a win, i never bet and always remember my uncle who i was named after sayiyng "Keep out of the betting shops because as you are standing at the bus stop skint except enough to get home the betting shop owner will oass by you in his Roller". [Mad.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)