Total knee replacement

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

den9112
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2023 29 19:47

Total knee replacement

Hi , after suffering for more years than i can remember with arthritic knee (and other issues) i had no option but to have a full knee replacement which i had back on June19th...As anyone on here had the surgery and how they got on with it after surgery..As for me i am a pretty fit 61 year old did lots of walking,cycling etc plus very active at work on my feet a lot of which i enjoyed keeping busy etc..What i found after the surgery i was not prepared for especially the depressing side of it which i still get every now and then ,i also had a set back but thats gone now and nothing i can do about it ,i am now 8 weeks in and feeling a little better as can now walk albeit gingerly and still with a stiff knee but dont need a crutch..My knee still needs work and i am working on that with a bit of private physio and a stationary cycle at home ..

I really need to get back to work and i if i am being honest 8 weeks my target but i have to say that is not going to happen ,my head wants to go back but my knee says no,I think what gets to me is i have never had any major time off at work in the 45 years have have worked without a gap in employment i pride myself on this hence wanting to get back to work and some normality ..I have a appointment with my consultant this coming friday and i cant see my jogging in there announcing i want to go back to work as i really dont think i can do what i do at the moment and its getting me down..Work have been great basically saying come back when you are fit and ready and i believe we do a phase in return to work ..As said earlier as anyone had any experience on this any input would be appreciated .Thanks

PS i would like to add the sleeping is also a issue as the knee is swelled up which is normal but it aches and really stops you sleeping at the moment i am taking co-codamal before bed then i usually get woke up a couple of times and maybe take two more if the pain is bad..
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2023 29 22:25

Re: Total knee replacement

Your health is the most important factor. Whilst your keeness to work is admirable you should only return when you are completely comforatble that your knee is 'up to the job'. Easy to underestimate how much effort is involved in a full day so your school is right in saying you should take the time needed. They will survive and you must focus on the best possible outcome for your knee. I've just had my hip done and so managed to overlap time off with the holidays but will be sure that my hip is working well before returning. With knees I must recommend lots of physio. Its tough but those muscles need to be strong. Good luck and be kind to yourself. Its tough not working but once you're mended you can get back into it.
All the best.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2023 30 08:52

Re: Total knee replacement

I knew a carpet layer that also had knee problems and a knee replacement, he eventually had both knees replaced but I lost contact with him by then.

I remember him telling me he was in a lot of pain prior to the first knee replacement, I only saw him once after the first knee was replaced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but he told me it was a good 6 months and a lot of hard work and pain before what he considered as almost normal usage was possible again. And that was for the first knee, I believe he took a job in the office after that, so I never saw him again.

Take care, persevere and I’m sure you’ll get there. A phased return to work would be a good idea, I’m sure occupational therapy would get involved in your return.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.