Type 2 Diabetes

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2023 15 19:33

Type 2 Diabetes

I know that some of you have struggled with type 2 diabetes over the years, so I thought that I would tell you of my experiences. I was diagnosed in 2009 and like most, have struggled controlling my diabetes. In September 2022 my HBA1c was at 92 and was being threatened with injecting with insulin. Despite being told I was not eligible for a new idea called the Very Low Carb Programme VLCP, I took on my surgery and got a place eventually in February 2023. Even now, no one can or will tell me why I don't qualify. I am funded for 10 group sessions with a dietician running the cohort, 3 blood tests and 3 Doctor consultations and I started the programme on the 1st March 2023. 4 weeks ago my second blood test,HBA1c was 45, I have lost 2 stone in weight, my blood pressure is averaging at 119/76. I am now classed as pre diabetic, I have stopped taking Sitigliptin, stopped taking statins, metformin is reduced by 1 tablet per day and there is talk of me coming off my blood pressure tablet. My next blood test and consultation is 10th December where I hope that I will be in remission. At the moment I am on a strict 60g per day of carbs and if I go into remission then I will go onto 120/130g of carbs per day. It becomes a life style choice and there is no way that I will go back to where I was in late 2022. My BMI is now on the good side of average and feel a lot better in myself. I walk some days and on others I use 3kg weights.

If anyone wants advice then either ask on this site or email me on my gmail account and I will do my best to answer any question. [Like.png]
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 09:42

Re: Type 2 Diabetes

Well done [Thumb_up.png] that is some achievement [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 11:53

Thanks keyholder, I don't pretend that is/was easy, but determination and will power and family backing me up all helps. Diabetes can cause blindness and lower limb amputation, I don't want to scare anyone, but these are the facts. You should aim for your HBA1c to be below 41. [Thumb_up.png]
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2023 16 18:20

Losing 2 stone is amazing
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2023 16 19:32

This is a subject close to me as my wife (South Indian) 'inherited' Diabetes Type 2 and it runs in the family. The good news is that with great determination she has stuck to a low carb - no sugar diet and this has now reversed her condition and she has blood sugar levels (daily and long term -HSA - below diabetic levels). Its not easy but with support and resolve she is off metphormin(?) and has made what is essentially a lifestyle change. Its tough and honestly not much fun with potatoes, rice, pasta and bread extremely limited and most sweet things banned. Berries are good and occassional treats cannot be refused but essentially the keto diet puts the body into remission and after several weeks - months even - long term blood sugar levels reduce significantly. Most GPs/Clinics will have a group or dietician who will run groups and encourage healthy eating and share recipes for tasty but acceptable foods. As a previous contributor mentioned the alternative is not good. The disease affects circulation and typically affects eyesight (lack of blood supply to retina) and peripheral limb functions. Type 2 patients should undergo an annual sight check and should request quarterly blood sugar tests.
Dont be dis-heartended. The good news is that you can do something about it. Download some Keto information and get started. Dont go nuts - although nuts are good [Big grin.png] but it does means sugars and carbs are off limits.
Good luck.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 17 08:49

That’s so good - well done!

For anyone interested, the work of the ‘Glucose Goddess’ is interesting. She shows how the body responds to sugars depending on what is eaten when. For example, eating Greek yoghurt with a chocolate cake gives a lower sugar response than eating the same slice of cake on its own.