'Meteor strike' on Dublin beach

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2023 18 17:52

'Meteor strike' on Dublin beach

I just love stories like this...

'Meteor strike' on Dublin beach is actually big hole dug with kids' spade

Announcing that a rock may have smashed into the beach in Portmarnock, Virgin Media News sent a journalist to the scene of the 'crater' to find out more. At the scene the reporter was joined by Dave Kennedy, a local space enthusiast, who had discovered the 'impact site' while out walking his dog.

After discovering the hole, Mr Kennedy said he had felt "complete shock". "I knew immediately that it was an impact site, " he said, while holding a rock that he believed could be the meteorite itself. Asked what it was about the rock that made him think it had come from space, Mr Kennedy said: "The actual weight of it and its density - you're definitely going to have to get it checked out."

Later, footage posted to social media revealed the crater was actually just a big hole that had been dug with a kids' spade.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/66841235

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 18 18:29

Re: 'Meteor strike' on Dublin beach

Welcome to Ireland
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 18 18:31

You can say something about the Irish, they don't half make you laugh.. [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 18 19:42

I watched this whole post on Instagram over the weekend. They way the rock was planted in the centre was brilliant… [Big grin.png]
The guy was convicted he could see scorched marks where the rock entered earth’s atmosphere [Happy.png]