My house is falling down...

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Siteopps
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 11:27

Re: My house is falling down...

Iam also very curious as to whom has actually "condemeded the house and for what reason"

Definatly get theses destails in wrting and ask to see all corisponces reagrding the issue.
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 11:39

I'm still waiting for any paperwork it's all been verbal up to now ..
I'm just waiting
Twodogs
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 14:47

Sit tight, they may have been bluffing to get you out.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 15:29

Yep that's the plan after chatting to you folks ..
Twodogs
gaz6712
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 18 17:36

Twodogs64 wrote: 12th Oct 2023 at 8:02am Well folks after twenty years as a on site caretaker I'm about to get kicked out of school house as it's now been condemned .
When I got the job many years ago with the local council it was advertised as a residential caretaker but now like most of us it's an academy..
Well there now saying it's not a residential position so my jobs safe as far as I know but there going to give me four weeks notice to vacate the house .
Well that's the black and white on the tenancy agreement..
This is all verbal at the moment I'm waiting for the formal letter from the solicitors I will know more then..
I have not applied to the local council as I will soon be homeless...
But can't carry on with that until I get the solicitors letter.
We all know you're just a number but ####.
On the plus side there's only fifty eight year old me .
If I had a family etc it would be a lot worse..
Twodogs
Hi I stayed in my school house till the council offered me a suitable house the union didn't do nothing tbh the school wanted the house back for educational reasons so I moved best thing ever being away from living on site.
Take care and be Lucky

Gary

Chelsea FC
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 18 17:54

This sounds all too fishy!

If there were someone to come to site to condem the house surely the Site Manager/Caretaker would have been involved walking around with the surveyor/contractor??

This definately sounds like the HT wants rid of you off site. When our Lodge was condemned the original Site Manager in the 90's had to go around the premises with the council surveyor and a contractor and they decided it would be cheaper to pull the lodge down creating more playground space for the nippers than to fix the roof, boiler, Replace all the electrics, replaster all the walls, replace sand stone lintels etc. I still have the report to date and it is amazing that a 3 bedroom lodge would have cost £300,000 to fix in the nineties and pulling it down only cost 20,000.

Dig your heels in and ask for the report, you are entitled to see it as you are the occupant and the Site Manager/Caretaker.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 19 08:04

MWCracker wrote: 18th Oct 2023 at 5:54pm This sounds all too fishy!

If there were someone to come to site to condem the house surely the Site Manager/Caretaker would have been involved walking around with the surveyor/contractor??

This definately sounds like the HT wants rid of you off site. When our Lodge was condemned the original Site Manager in the 90's had to go around the premises with the council surveyor and a contractor and they decided it would be cheaper to pull the lodge down creating more playground space for the nippers than to fix the roof, boiler, Replace all the electrics, replaster all the walls, replace sand stone lintels etc. I still have the report to date and it is amazing that a 3 bedroom lodge would have cost £300,000 to fix in the nineties and pulling it down only cost 20,000.

Dig your heels in and ask for the report, you are entitled to see it as you are the occupant and the Site Manager/Caretaker.
Reading that description there of the Lodge made me giggle.

It's a good job they didn't survey the schools, because each and every point you made there could easily be applied to our schools.
It would indeed be far cheaper to demolish and re build.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 19 09:34

Yep having lived in a couple of school tied tenencys there alway the maintenance free zone on site ..
End of the day most school's in the UK are well past there best and have needed rebuilding for years ..
But that's a whole new topic..
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Oct 2023 19 10:36

Here’s my guess.

You leave the house.
Money is suddenly found.
House becomes a SENCO type unit.

You heard it here first. [Wink.png]
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 19 10:44

Good chance..lol