Public Charge Point Regulations 2023

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 26 17:13

Public Charge Point Regulations 2023

The Public Charge Point Regulations 2023 come into force today, starting with the Pricing Metric. These regs will bring improvements to EV charging, making the EV experience more convenient, reliable, and user-friendly.
https://www.evaengland.org.uk/2023/11/2 ... ng-metric/

UK-Charge-Point-Regulations-2023-new.png

2 things I think are missing. To save the usual search around massive car parks, like petrol stations the chargers should be marked and sign posted directing drivers to their position. The time I have wasted driving round motorway service station car parks trying to find where they are situated the chargers is a common issue.

Secondly, no word on accessibility for less mobile people and wheelchair users. It must be very difficult for a wheelchair user to plug-in and get around the charging bays when other cars are also charging.

EDIT: I just read an item that says "70% of UK's drivers have private off street charging, where nighttime tariffs make EVs 9 x cheaper to run than petrol. The OBR states that an EV's cheaper running costs are eroded if people have to rely on public chargers. I do feel that Public Charge Points should charge the same 5% VAT as home chargers enjoy to level up the playing field.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 26 19:39

Re: Public Charge Point Regulations 2023

Reading through those regulations, the bit about the rapid charger network must achieve on average, 99% reliability is a bit of a pipedream. There are many public charge points out of service, and some have been that way for more than a year.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2023 26 23:08

I don't know if they plan to fine companies that don't achieve this 99% reliability. But if they are run by the big oil companies, it will be as much use as fining Southern Water for not providing a service. [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 07:52

EDIT: I just read an item that says "70% of UK's drivers have private off street charging, where nighttime tariffs make EVs 9 x cheaper to run than petrol. The OBR states that an EV's cheaper running costs are eroded if people have to rely on public chargers. I do feel that Public Charge Points should charge the same 5% VAT as home chargers enjoy to level up the playing field.

Is that really true 70%?
It sounds overly high to me. There are 15 houses with cars in our cul de sac only one has an electric charger. (his other car is a diesel)

Currently cost per mile for EV's charged only on public chargers is is equal if not more than a petrol or diesel car.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 09:30

"More than two fifths (44%) of UK homes are unsuitable for charging an electric vehicle (EV) due to the lack of off-road parking, research from Lloyds Bank suggests.

It found just 56% of British homes can currently support electric charging points, which it says excludes many from making the change to an EV."

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest ... c-vehicles