"If it's Boeing, I'm not going"

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 09 15:33

I was unsure if I would get on a flight that was a 737 MAX airplane.

But my answer now is a resounding NO!

There is something very bad going on at Boeing, the culture of safety seems to have been well and truly thrown through the door (along with the door at 16,500 feet).

For context it now seems like loose door plug retention bolts have been found following inspections of other 737 MAX 9 at 2 different airlines. the inspections were ordered by the FAA after the recent unexpected disassembly of the door plug from the airframe in flight. It was only luck that no one was sat in that particular seat next to the door plug.

Seems like both the working practices and the inspection procedures are well and truly lacking at Boeing.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2024 09 22:29

Re: "If it's Boeing, I'm not going"

I love that. Well done Vera [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2024 09 22:58

And this is exactly why I tell the Mrs NOT to book the emergency exit seats on any flight Boeing or not…!

Not only don’t I want the responsibility of opening such door should the worst happen, but the irritation fear this could ( and has now happened).
We have an extremely long flight to the other side of the world early Feb coming up, out on a Boeing 777 and return on an Airbus A380 and the same rule has applied even tho extra leg room would be a perk. Thank you but regular seating is fine with me !!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 10 07:48

thecaretaker wrote: 9th Jan 2024 at 10:29pm "If it's Boeing, I'm not going"

I love that. Well done Vera [Like.png]
It's a play on words from an old Boeing advertising slogan, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going"
I'd like to take credit but it has been used many times in recent years.

Sparky, The seats on this particular aircraft were not emergency exit seats nor did they have extra leg room.
The seats just happened to be next to an opening which was not used in this airframe, the interior panels were the same as the rest of the aircraft the only clue is the window spacing in that area.
The extra door opening is only used as an emergency exit by carriers that have high density seating and therefore by law are required to have further emergency exits, I believe that Ryanair is one such carrier. In the case as with Alaska and United they have a lower density seating configuration which does not require the extra emergency exit door so it is replaced with a plug that is supposed to be permanently fixed to the airframe.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 10 08:08

Vera wrote: 10th Jan 2024 at 7:48am It's a play on words from an old Boeing advertising slogan, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going"
I'd like to take credit but it has been used many times in recent years.

Sparky, The seats on this particular aircraft were not emergency exit seats nor did they have extra leg room.
The seats just happened to be next to an opening which was not used in this airframe, the interior panels were the same as the rest of the aircraft the only clue is the window spacing in that area.
The extra door opening is only used as an emergency exit by carriers that have high density seating and therefore by law are required to have further emergency exits, I believe that Ryanair is one such carrier. In the case as with Alaska and United they have a lower density seating configuration which does not require the extra emergency exit door so it is replaced with a plug that is supposed to be permanently fixed to the airframe.
Good knowledge, Vera. Dare I say " Every day is a school day?" [Confused.png]
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2024 10 11:10

Wait till you're sitting shoulder to shoulder with a couple of hundred guys, flying to you don't really know whrere. Then wonder if this is safe?
No, commercial flights don't bother me at all. [Shock.png] [Confused.png]
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)