Not a happy chappy.

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 23 08:42

Not a happy chappy.

The week before the October half term I was informed that I had been booked on a 3 day St Johns first aid course. As I had already booked in compliance checks and some repair work I then had to move it to the --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) --- break. I then wasn't best pleased that the person doing the booking (a TA who is our chief first aider) wasn't even in attendance.

Some 3 months on I am now being told that I am required to do a defib course that was covered in October. This will eat into "my time". I have stated my case that training has already been done but if It is still deemed necessary that I attend then my in lieu time should be when it is most beneficial to me. (an early finish on a Friday). Instead they are giving me overtime. My down time is more beneficial than a couple of extra pound.

[Angry.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 23 08:49

Re: Not a happy chappy.

I stand to be corrected but I was under the impression that defib courses were unnecessary as they instruct you as you use them. That way any member of the public can use them.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 23 08:55

TheTusk wrote: 23rd Jan 2024 at 8:49am I stand to be corrected but I was under the impression that defib courses were unnecessary as they instruct you as you use them. That way any member of the public can use them.
My understanding also. your first aid course will cover it anyway.
There are also many different models of defib so training in one type is actually counter productive.

Open the case and follow instructions (some you will need to switch on). That's all you need to know.

I sometimes think its another excuse to create another course for schools to pay for...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 23 09:53

Vera wrote: 23rd Jan 2024 at 8:55am My understanding also. your first aid course will cover it anyway.
There are also many different models of defib so training in one type is actually counter productive.

Open the case and follow instructions (some you will need to switch on). That's all you need to know.

I sometimes think its another excuse to create another course for schools to pay for...

I completely agree with you Vera. All a money making scam for the Government.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. [Success.png]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 23 12:41

We used to have a know it all here who did a 5 day course and knew everything [Wink.png] she said only she could use defib, rubbish anyone can do it that is the whole point, funnily enough when it started bleeping because it needed a new battery it was nothing to do with her [hah.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 24 09:44

The whole point of the defibs these days are that an absolute --- censored word --- could use one correctly. Why oh why would anyone need to go on a course when it literally talks you through each step, most likely with a 999 op on speaker phone too..

First aid course - invaluable IMO but if it is in MY time, I expect them to take time from my working week in return if I don't claim.