Ground Source Heat pump project

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

MrMoustache
Oct 2023 17 13:12

Re: Ground Source Heat pump project

In my opinion the heat pumps will be worth only if they are part of an integrated system and in a building with an excellent insulation. They should go alongside solar panels and underfloor water heating system.
Eagleman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 13:28

We did have a company promising to fund Heat pumps to replace our outdated gas boilers. The cost to insulate and the heat pumps far outweighed any savings the system would make, so it was scrapped. We are now having to try and fund new gas boilers. Local borough fitted six solar panels and an invertor a few years ago, but the pv system was never registered, so any energy we make just goes back into the grid as far as i know. No one to go back to as the company that fitted the system went bust. Speaking to our supplier, they said we should be able to run a kettle from the size of the panels we have!
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 14:00

Eagleman wrote: 17th Oct 2023 at 1:28pm We did have a company promising to fund Heat pumps to replace our outdated gas boilers. The cost to insulate and the heat pumps far outweighed any savings the system would make, so it was scrapped. We are now having to try and fund new gas boilers. Local borough fitted six solar panels and an invertor a few years ago, but the pv system was never registered, so any energy we make just goes back into the grid as far as i know. No one to go back to as the company that fitted the system went bust. Speaking to our supplier, they said we should be able to run a kettle from the size of the panels we have!
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the bonus of running six panels.
Eagleman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 14:24

Nail wrote: 17th Oct 2023 at 2:00pm Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the bonus of running six panels.
I was told the solar panels were fitted as a box ticking exercise to help get the new build planning through.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 17 14:46

We have a CIF bid in and they came to survey the other day.
They did confirm it may increase the electricity costs but as our school is on oil heating and it was 2 separate schools at one point the entire system including radiant heaters and pipework would need to be replaced it should in our case come out cheaper to run and with a new BMS it should be much more controllable too leading to more savings.

At some point we will add solar PV hopefully which will reduce the costs even more.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
rich76
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 07:50

Ours has just been pulled from being undertaken. We'll over 1.2 million. Lol
We are only a small school. Just wasn't cost effective to the County Council.