Would you?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 08:12

Re: Would you?

Yes we had staff meeting telling us that there maybe staff restructure about twelve months back .
About a month back the teachers asked about it and was told we are ok this term don't worry about it .. [JawDropped.png]
It's like waiting for the axe to fall..
In my academy there are only two caretakers the rest are small rural schools..
The head told me one day that most schools don't have a caretaker...
I suggested that she could be replaced with a complaint s line .....how we laughed..

I don't feel secure in my job of twenty years ..
But I suppose that is how it is in most jobs ..
I just roll with it now and wait and see..
Still enjoying the job at the moment mind..

Twodogs
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 14:15

Vera wrote: 5th Feb 2024 at 3:29pm I think that rather than most of us being "Unlucky" you are the lucky one.
Been an academy for 4 odd years here and it has been downhill all the way.

I am happy with my current job as really it hasn't changed but I have seen the major change withing the school and staff.
I am not naïve enough to think it will stay the same for me, it will not. sooner or later it will be words such as "streamlining" and "standardising across all our schools" will soon enough be uttered, then the decline will start.
I know, it has happened to me before at another school. [Disappointment.png]
Well then I'll consider myself lucky then, however as I'm our Trust Premises manager I know it's the same across all our schools as I work in them all.
I think a lot of it depends on the people in place in your senior leadership teams, as the ethos of the schools filters down from them.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 14:54

I am beginning to feel nervous regarding these answers. I was informed that out council are moving primary schools over to academies within 5 years. However the BM's opinion is that it will be within 1 year. [Disappointment.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 15:12

Maverick wrote: 6th Feb 2024 at 2:54pm I am beginning to feel nervous regarding these answers. I was informed that out council are moving primary schools over to academies within 5 years. However the BM's opinion is that it will be within 1 year. [Disappointment.png]
If the BM thinks that then there must be plans in place already or at least talks being had with MAT's.

The LA's force schools to academize by removing or severely limiting the services provided to schools under SLA's. The only real option for schools is to go to an academy or join a MAT.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 16:56

It's sad this is the way it's gone. I loved my job for the first 16 years then academy took over with a new micro manager of a head and ruined my love of the school.
Now a caretaker In a caring profession and you are seen to be the caretaker you used to be. Respected and left alone to get on with the job you love.
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 17:50

eebagum wrote: 7th Feb 2024 at 4:56pm It's sad this is the way it's gone. I loved my job for the first 16 years then academy took over with a new micro manager of a head and ruined my love of the school.
Now a caretaker In a caring profession and you are seen to be the caretaker you used to be. Respected and left alone to get on with the job you love.
I'm so lucky , this is exactly as my position within our academy is.
Tank
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 15 09:57

I had some great times working in a large secondary school. I enjoyed many aspects of it and was very dedicated. However, the new principal (who worked his way up from a teacher) had a really devious side and did the dirty on my team. We all left after some meetings, and a short crossover with our replacements. It's been a few years now and the school has fallen apart. In my 8 years there, there were four of us. Since leaving 4 years ago there have been 25 caretakers!!!

There have been 7 electrical fires, a roof falling down on a shoddy extension, and the school running on emergency generators for 4 months.....before the school was shut down for 2 weeks and electricians called in to find inspect the whole site. This is what happens when you get bad replacements! LOL

Anyway, I miss a lot of aspects of the job, but really a lot was taken for granted with no real appreciation. So many stories I could tell (I bet we all have!). Would I work in a secondary school again, no. I've become too soft in my current role!

[Big grin.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 17 11:21

Update on my 1st message. My friend did some digging into the school in question. Since January 2023 the school as had 4 caretakers and 3 agency caretakers. At the moment They are again without one. He went for a walk around the school with the head and BM prior to a interview date. Got a date and declined it. His words were. They talk to you like a child. Would you have gone for it 😂