Fire Alarm Signal

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 10 06:56

Fire Alarm Signal

Hi everyone

Hope you are getting lots of praise and thank yous for your hard work!

Just a quick one from me - we have 2 x buildings on our school site. But the fire alarm signal to our monitoring company only gets a signal from one building. The buildings are linked so should one fire alarm sound it sets off the other.

One alert to the fire service is sufficient right? They are alerted that the school could potentially be on fire. Or do both buildings specifically require signalling so the fire brigade know which building specifically is potentially on fire?

Thanks as always.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 10 16:29

Re: Fire Alarm Signal

I would check your fire risk assessment and insurance to what is required,

It technically if you can physically link each alarm so that if one goes so does the other then your problem is solved. A truly monitored alarm would differentiate zones but some are just fire or fault signals, depends on the age/type of alarm. If a physical cable doesn’t work I have successfully used a wireless signal for a gas relay on a fire alarm but you could use that for connecting buildings, as long as you make it a fail safe ie(unit from RS)
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 11 04:47

The buildings are linked. So if one alarm goes off so does the other

But the signal to the monitoring/fire service just says the school name and doesn't specify which exact building

I'm certain this is sufficient, but thought I'd ask you guys [Waving.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 11 11:36

Cliff_Promise wrote: 11th Feb 2024 at 4:47am I'm certain this is sufficient, but thought I'd ask you guys [Waving.png]
We have three buildings all linked to the fire alarm system, only have a single Redcare monitored connection. Was seen as adequate by our fire alarm service company and the many H&S audits over the years.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 08:21

Two buildings here only one is connected to monitoring the other is a completely stand alone system.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Tank
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 14 21:01

I work for a leading alarm company, so you may be one of our customers! LOL

It sounds like you have a Master and Slave system. Only one panel (master) is normally the one that will send the signal to the Alarm Receiving Centre. All signals of the slave unit(s) will be sent to the master.

You may have heard that BT Redcare are ceasing from next year. More than likely that your monitoring company will install CSL. Lots of alarm company's are not happy with the lack of notice, which was only given last month.